It has almost been a year since Kirkland's last fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has almost been a year since Kirkland's last fight

Whats his deal?

I know he was hurt way back but he should have had a fight by now, or at least scheduled a fight.

Is there legal problems or something?

I may just be way out of the loop.

Pretty much...... He lost it

Comment

He has a good interview on YouTube. I don't feel like searching for it but he basically said that in May or June of last year, after Paul Williams' accident, the two candidates to fight Canelo in September were him and Victor Ortiz. Remember Kirkland had to do the dirty work by taking an incredibly risky fight against Carlos Molina, arguably a top 3 fighter at 154. He also had a risky fight with Angulo.

GBP made offers to both Kirkland and Ortiz. The offer to Ortiz was way more than it was for Kirkland. He didn't feel that was right because Ortiz has never had a fight at 154 and isn't even a real junior middleweight. So he held out wanting the same offer that they gave Ortiz.

GBP went to the press criticizing Kirkland for backing out of the fight for "wanting more money" and then it got ugly. He sued GBP for not looking out for his best interests and the lawsuit hasn't been settled yet.

Comment

I remember that situation. I still dont get why he didn't take the Canelo fight. He initially signed then said he wanted more money.

There is no way he was ever going to get Victor Ortiz money who was always a bigger name than Kirkland and was just coming off the Floyd fight.

Comment

He has Curtis Jackson's attorney and he is suing everyone he's involved with in boxing.
          So he's locked himself in legal battles which are keeping him out of the ring at his own choice.

Comment

didnt he say that his trainer gave him some black pill or something like that? Also didnt he hurt his shoulder?

Comment

kirkland to busy being un-loyal and popping black pills and pulling out of career fights and sueing everyone he knows to be taken seriously by any one in the boxing world.

Comment

Sure fire way to fall into obscurity is to get caught up in legal issues right after the best fight of you career

I bet he started all of this cause he wants to sign with SMS, or at the time TMT, than the hype completely washed away for TMT.

Comment

I think we have seen the best of Kirkland to be honest,he lacks mental fortitude.

Comment

Working...
                  X