No announcement yet.

At age 34 Bernard Hopkins had a record of 35-2-1 1 NC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    You're kidding right? SMW today is god damn horrible. Absolutely none of the fighters are actually impressive, and none of them are worth it financially.

Leon is spot on - and I'm a Hopkins fan.
    Shove the financial talk up your ass. I'm talking matchups. The fights I listed are intriguing. I made no comment on the quality of the division.

Rebut my points or quote someone else.

Comment

Leon is spot on - and I'm a Hopkins fan.
      You're a Hopkins fan and you're going to agree with the notion that he was not criticized for not going up in weight, not really getting any credit because of constantly being compared to RJJ and until the Tito win and his later fights, that Hopkins was really starting to get appreciated?

You're agreeing that this never happened?

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        Shove the financial talk up your ass. I'm talking matchups. The fights I listed are intriguing. I made no comment on the quality of the division.

Rebut my points or quote someone else.
        Did I sleep with your sister or something? Why so hostile?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your whole argument was that none of the fights @ SMW were desirable for Hopkins. It's the same exact thing with Golovkin right now. It's either unproven kids or Froch/Ward leftovers. And half of them are with Haymon.

Btw - welcome to the real world. Finances matter.

Comment

Did I sleep with your sister or something? Why so hostile?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your whole argument was that none of the fights @ SMW were desirable for Hopkins. It's the same exact thing with Golovkin right now. It's either unproven kids or Froch/Ward leftovers. And half of them are with Haymon.

Btw - welcome to the real world. Finances matter.
          That's not what I said at all. You clearly read nothing I said. Don't even bother anymore. Smh...Golovkin fans man.

Comment

That's not what I said at all. You clearly read nothing I said. Don't even bother anymore. Smh...Golovkin fans man.
            ... here's what you said.

Ok. This is a good thread idea but I thing you failed to put some things into perspective.

This issue is, if Hopkins were to move to 168, what challenges in that division await him and are those desirable fights that build upon his legacy. So you're in 1997 right now. The 168 rankings were as follows:

Frankie Liles
            Robin Reid
            Charles Brewer
            Joe Calzaghe
            Herol Graham
            Vincenzo Nardiello
            Thulani Malinga
            Thomas Tate
            Chris Eubank
            Joseph Kiwanuka

At that particular time, I don't see a single fight that is desirable.
            Joe Calzaghe is a recognizable name but this is 1997. He wasn't the established product he went on to become at that point in time.

So I think with Hopkins, my answer is no. I wouldn't have demanded a move to a new division because there were no fights that intrigued me.

Golovkin vs Ward, Ramirez, Froch, DeGale are all intriguing fights to me.
            .. and here's what I said

Seriously, I think you have some hostility issues towards me, and I don't even know who the hell you are or what your problem is.

Comment

Stupid thread by a Stupid op...

Comment

... here's what you said.

.. and here's what I said

Seriously, I think you have some hostility issues towards me, and I don't even know who the hell you are or what your problem is.
                Ok. So you're starting to get it. Now tell me where I said 168 was a strong division currently? This thread is asking whether we would ask Hopkins to move up in 1997. I gave my reason why I wouldn't.

With respect to Golovkin, I explained that there are a few fights at 168 that would've intrigued me over the past couple years:

Ward- who is no longer at the weight anymore
                Froch - retired
                DeGale - which is a damn good fight
                Ramirez - which looks to be a nice option on Deck

But you, being a sensitive obsessed Golovkin fan, took this as me, insulting the love of your life by saying that 168 is a strong division that he is avoiding.

And that's why I'm being hostile. You mistook me for listing 4 SMWs that I would like to see GGG fight as stating that 168 is a strong division.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcal26 View Post
                  They were on him man. I still remember how HBO would constantly bring up how he was no RJJ and all he is doing is playing it safe at Middleweight.
                  I do remember that near the end of his mw run...around the time of the talks of a toney fight as well. He was viewed to be running out of opponents at mw. He got tons of hate for the dlh fight.

Comment

Ok. This is a good thread idea but I thing you failed to put some things into perspective.

This issue is, if Hopkins were to move to 168, what challenges in that division await him and are those desirable fights that build upon his legacy. So you're in 1997 right now. The 168 rankings were as follows:

Frankie Liles
                    Robin Reid
                    Charles Brewer
                    Joe Calzaghe
                    Herol Graham
                    Vincenzo Nardiello
                    Thulani Malinga
                    Thomas Tate
                    Chris Eubank
                    Joseph Kiwanuka

At that particular time, I don't see a single fight that is desirable. Joe Calzaghe is a recognizable name but this is 1997. He wasn't the established product he went on to become at that point in time.

So I think with Hopkins, my answer is no. I wouldn't have demanded a move to a new division because there were no fights that intrigued me.

Golovkin vs Ward, Ramirez, Froch, DeGale are all intriguing fights to me.
                    Looking at that list and looking at todays SMW and the arguement can be made Hopkins did the same thing. SMW is decent at best today, sure theres match up i would like to see GGG in at SMW but theres also interesting matchups for Hopkins one divison up at the time aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                      I do remember that near the end of his mw run...around the time of the talks of a toney fight as well. He was viewed to be running out of opponents at mw. He got tons of hate for the dlh fight.
                      Hopkins was universally despised toward the end of his run. Much like golovkin will be after Canelo.

Comment

Working...
                      X