Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be possible to name a p4p fighter for each decade going back 100 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

00s - Manny Pacquiao
    90s - Pernell Whitaker
    80s - Ray Leonard
    70s - Roberto Duran
    60s - Edar Jofre
    50s - Ray Robinson
    40s - Ray Robinson
    30s - Henry Armstrong
    20s - Benny Leonard
    10s - Sam Langford
    00s - Bob Fitzsimmons

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      00s - Manny Pacquiao
      90s - Pernell Whitaker
      80s - Ray Leonard
      70s - Roberto Duran
      60s - Edar Jofre
      50s - Ray Robinson
      40s - Ray Robinson
      30s - Henry Armstrong
      20s - Benny Leonard
      10s - Sam Langford
      00s - Bob Fitzsimmons
      Mate, Sam's prime was the 00's.... he had many poor performances after 1912....... quit on his stool against Fred Fulton..... the same Fulton that Darcy KO'd in 2 rounds in that same year. Don't get me wrong, Sam is one of my all-time favourites. But most of the fight reports on him state that he was fat, carrying a spare tyre all the time. I wish he had quit by 1915 at the latest,... poor dear Sam suffered badly from his 40's on. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Sam Langford of the 00's was a great fighting machine, he was dropped and stopped on occasion but he always beat those guys more than the other way round. It's a great list but, it's at least 90% right.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        Mate, Sam's prime was the 00's.... he had many poor performances after 1912....... quit on his stool against Fred Fulton..... the same Fulton that Darcy KO'd in 2 rounds in that same year. Don't get me wrong, Sam is one of my all-time favourites. But most of the fight reports on him state that he was fat, carrying a spare tyre all the time. I wish he had quit by 1915 at the latest,... poor dear Sam suffered badly from his 40's on. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Sam Langford of the 00's was a great fighting machine, he was dropped and stopped on occasion but he always beat those guys more than the other way round. It's a great list but, it's at least 90% right.
        Cut me some slack: I just started my second cup of coffee :cool9:

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Cut me some slack: I just started my second cup of coffee :cool9:

Poet
          I'm about to have my 15th cuppa........... lol...... I was in a devious mood....

Comment

To say that Darcy KO'd Fulton might be somewhat misleading. From what I've read, they had a sparring match or a boxing exhibition and Fulton called it quits after Darcy outboxed him for 2 rounds.

I'd say Langford was at his peak from 1907 to 1912.

Comment

Benny Leonard for the 20s is quite questionable. He was a fighter between decades.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                To say that Darcy KO'd Fulton might be somewhat misleading. From what I've read, they had a sparring match or a boxing exhibition and Fulton called it quits after Darcy outboxed him for 2 rounds.

There are at least half a dozen references about the incident. It was arranged for Darcy to show his wares to Tex Rickard and all the other Big-Wigs. But the reports all say the same thing...................... it was meant to be a bit of a spar, but according to those present, Darcy went at Fulton as hard as possible. They sat that Fulton was a guy who ran his mouth off and he had annoyed Darcy so much that he was riled up and had told Fulton to get ready for a very real go. Darcy was said to have been like a caged animal due to the fact that so far in America, nobody would get in the ring. As it stands, Fulton was pummelled and humiliated and barely made it to his seat. From what I can gather, Fulton was down at least once, after that, there were no challengers, and Rickard compared Darcy to Jeffries, or at least said that only Jeffries was better. I will post the version from the book on my thread, but there's a lot of posts before I get to that, It probably has the least bombasity--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If Les had lived, we wouldn't need this conversation. but it is so hard to track down info from this time period........ seems there was a war or something at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post

One report I read from a newspaper said that Fulton was knocked out, That was one of the bombastic one's,.... came via Rickard...... who was trying to promote Les. ------------------------------ One thing I DO KNOW,.... after that "Spar", Fulton's stocks took a hit to his reputation, and he was not highly regarded after that point. Dempsey said that he knew of that "Spar", in an interview, and said that Darcy indeed gave Fred a 'Darn Thrashing", Dempsey had nothing but the highest regard for Darcy, and said that had looked up to Darcy as one of his heroes when he was starting out..... Dempsey said that he thought that only he could have beaten Les........ That was how Darcy was thought of by everyone in the 20's and 30's................ and that's why I think so highly of him too, NOBODY today knows what the old-time insiders knew about their own generation, Dempsey knew more about Les than any of us know..... remember that Jack Kearns had seen a lot of Darcy in action,...... and he was very jealous when Darcy told Doc that he was not interested...... in actual fact, Darcy mistrusted Kearns a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
                    Benny Leonard for the 20s is quite questionable. He was a fighter between decades.
                    That's right,..... list would look a lot different if you changed it to something like... 1895 - 1905......... 1905 to 1915.... 1915 to 1925 and so on.

Comment

From Raymond Swanwick's biography on Les Darcy:

"On 12th february 1917, 2 days after Darcy had begun training at Goshen, there was a heavyweight fight at the New York Sporting Club, in which Fulton knocked out Charley Weinert in the second round. Fulton was a giant from Kansas, 6 feet 11 inches tall and 15 stone in weight, who had won 18 of his 27 proffesional fights by knockouts. He was considered the logical challenger to Jess Willard- who was also a giant from Kansas, 6 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 18 stone- for the Heavyweight championship; but Willard could not be got into the ring to defend his title without very large financial guarantees."
                      "It occurred to Tex Rickard and Hugh Grant Brown to match Fred Fulton privately against Les Darcy in a training bout, in the pressence of only a few privileged spectators. This would be intended to test the Australians ability to fight a bigger and heavier man."
                      "The result could have only been a shock to anyone who might have thought that Darcy`s reputation had been overrated. In the first round he boxed with such speed that the slow moving Fulton was peppered with sparring punches and unable to make any effective counter. When the same happened in the second round, Fulton retired from the bout, and refused to continue."

Comment

Working...
                      X