No announcement yet.

Rate Wards performance against Dawson out of 10

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damned1974 View Post
    I gave him an 8.5...mainly because Dawson was able to catch him with uppercuts and right hooks quite a few occasions and I gave Chad the first 2 rounds.

I think the fight at 175 would have seemed that much more impressive for his legacy,but to be honest,I think it's quite possible that we would have had the same results.I remember the day of the fight most people thought Chad had no problems making weight and the general impressions and comments were "Chad is ripped", yet when he got his butt kicked and quit,we hear "Chad was drained"...hell,he looked like crump against Diaconu and Pascal-was he drained there as well-no? Consider and add to the fact that Ward is a million times the beast of those two guys,it appears that Dawson's team/fans wants to validate excuses with this fight....at least Dawson was a class act and never brought any up.

I don't think weight played a big role.It is entirely possible that Chad would have gotten knocked down even if he was at 175,because that first KD came from a lightning bolt that he never seen coming...after that,he never recovered- similar to Berto when getting knocked down by Ortiz,he just couldn't get his legs back.I think this was similar as to when he got smacked by Johnson-he just didn't seem to be 100% after getting dazed.

All in all,a brilliant performance.Ward just seems to be getting better and better against more quality opponents (the difference between him and Chad...Chad has stagnated and never corrected his flaws,but that's another story).

It's been reported that his training camp was terrible, he was getting beat up by his sparring partners, and he spent more time in the sauna room than actually training. Regarding if the fight was at 175, well if Chad can barley beat Hopkins at his weight own weight, what makes you think he can beat Ward?

Scully his current trainer is not making Chad fight the right away. You saw that against Hopkins. He was doing a lot of things wrong such as not using his height and reach to create distance. Ward was a 3-1 favorite for a reason. Almost every known boxing analyst predicted Ward to win, because no one was impressed by Chad's performance against Hopkins.

Comment

i'd give him a nine or a nine point five.

he looked like he just might be the planet's best boxer. he showed the same sort of craft against froch, who has since gone on to prove his metal in destroying bute.

i dont wand to take anything away from floyd mayweather jr (the only other man who can be considered p4p right now.) ward has fought better opposition. and more importantly, floyd is slowing down. miguel cotto got him into some situations and hit him with punches he would have been able to avoid in his prime.

Comment

For me it was a 10,and Dawson get's a 10 for effort..Dawson really looked like he came to win...

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          i'd give him a nine or a nine point five.

he looked like he just might be the planet's best boxer. he showed the same sort of craft against froch, who has since gone on to prove his metal in destroying bute.

i dont wand to take anything away from floyd mayweather jr (the only other man who can be considered p4p right now.) ward has fought better opposition. and more importantly, floyd is slowing down. miguel cotto got him into some situations and hit him with punches he would have been able to avoid in his prime.
          IMO this is all the more reason to keep May at the top p4p spot..May fought and held his position for yrs..Ward is just starting out,Ward will have a lot of time to hold on to the top spot..But right now May deserves it imho...

Comment

I'd give him 9.5 but he cannot have a 10 for the clinching

Comment

9.5, if he stops him in the mid rounds after he dismantled him like he did, I'd be forced to give him a 10.

Comment

10. What he do wrong?

Comment

a 10 ut gets no better than that performance

Comment

A lot of people gave that performance a "10".

If you give that a "10", what do you give Mayweather's performance vs Corrales?

I use that as an example because those fights played out similarly.

Comment

Originally posted by -SWIFT- View Post
                      a 10 ut gets no better than that performance
                      See post 29.

Comment

Working...
                      X