No announcement yet.

Tech N9ne's new album: SOMETHING ELSE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech N9ne's new album: SOMETHING ELSE

Tech's new album, Something Else, is definitely his most mainstream appealing album he's ever done. That's not a bad thing, but it's not a very good thing at times either.

While some disliked All 6's and 7's, I thought it was Tech's best album hands down since Absolute Power and Everready, and this is coming from someone who loved Killer and KOD (Anghellic will forever be Tech's best, it's a classic in my eyes and had a major influence on the horrorcore hip hop style).

All 6's and 7's is a stronger album than Something Else. Tech seems to content at times on this album with trying a mainstream type sound, but don't get wrong.....his flow is sharp as ever. Stuff like B.I.T.C.H., So Dope, and See Me, you can tell he was going for a mainstream appeal. But it didn't come off as well as the mainstream type attempts on A6&7. I'll take **** Food and ****ographic all day over those tracks.

There's some good guest spots on this album though. Kendrick on Fragile, Krit delivers a sharp verse on That's My Kid, and Game actually spit some dope stuff on Priorites, which is basically a minute forty of bars between the three on the track. I also liked the Kutt feature, who was absent from All 6's & 7's.

There were too many average tracks for me on this one though, to be able to enjoy it like past Tech albums like Anghellic, Absolute Power, Everready, Killer, or the more recent stuff on KOD, All 6's & 7's, and Welcome to Strangeland.

If you enjoy complicated production from Seven though, you'll like it. Seven's production, he producers the vast majority of the album, is pretty dope. A lot of the shock value Tech lyrics are absent here, whether that's a good or bad thing is really up for the listener to decide. Personally, I prefer Tech when he's spittin' some sinister weird s**t on at least some of the tracks. Overall, it's pretty good, not very good or great though.

3.5 / 5

Standouts: Straight Out the Gate, I'm Not A Saint, Fragile, Priorities, My Haiku-Burn the World, That's My Kid, Believe, Meant to Happen.

My favorites:

Last edited by 4Corners; 08-03-2013, 09:11 PM.

It seems to be getting mixed reviews, with some people calling it one of the year's best albums while others think it's too pop-ish.

Sounds like a lot depends on whether you prefer his old, eccentric style or if you don't mind that he goes a little mainstream.

Comment

The deluxe edition is even doper, with some great cuts. Colorado is one of the dopest collabos I've heard from tech (and he has a lot), with something like 8 or so talented cats spitting, a great song about smoking. But yeah, the deluxe version pushed it to atleast a 4/5 imo

Comment

I still haven't gotten around to listening to the whole thing, but from what I've heard it's dope as hell! Fragile is my favorite song off the album at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
          The deluxe edition is even doper, with some great cuts. Colorado is one of the dopest collabos I've heard from tech (and he has a lot), with something like 8 or so talented cats spitting, a great song about smoking. But yeah, the deluxe version pushed it to atleast a 4/5 imo

I'm happy Tech showed Colorado some love, called it his second home.

Comment

Tech N9ne is dope as hell and Something Else is a really good album. I'm still waiting for Immortal Technique to drop some new good stuff.

Comment

Something I want to comment on, as far as tech going 'going mainstream/not as sinister as he was'. I agree with him not being as 'sinister' as he was, but imo he isn't going mainstream. I think its just a matter of life, growing up and maturing, having new/different experiences, etc. In his younger days, he was crazy, poppjng thizzles, gangbanging, etc. He's grown and matured as an individual, and that is reflected through his music. I will say some of the hooks are more mainstreamish, but as far as his lyrics and flow, far from it.

Two last comments I'd like to make. 1). Its amazing the talent he has been signing ton his label/surrounding himself with. Ces cru, mayday, brotha lynch, snow da product, rittz, etc. Tech has been putting in work. And 2)., the last thing I'd expect was to hear 'so dope' was mainstream. Personally I loved it, almost bringing us back to the T9X days.

See you mentioned '**** food'. I liked the album version, but mayday reproduced it and love the new version

Comment

I'll be screwing Fragile in the next week. That shiet goes hard.

Comment

I thought it was ok. The track with the doors sample was the best one. Anghellic=classic, I agree.

Comment

Which song is the one he did with The Doors?

Comment

Working...
                    X