Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your reflections on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by New England View Post
    not bad for chubby, nuke dropping yanks.
    I don't mind you triple portion of extra fries ****ers really, I'm just ****-stirring.

Originally posted by New England View Post
    you seen barefoot gen?
    Say what?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
      So if some crazy guy runs up on you and cold cocks you but you end up giving him a savage beating...you're supposed to feel bad about kicking the dude who suckerpunched you's ass? Hell no.

this one's a bit different, though

not only are you whipping up on the guy who ran up on you, but you're also killing his entire family and city. two cities, actually.

i'm not prepared to say whether or not i'd change the way things were done, but the american retaliation to pearl harbor (if you call dropping two nukes the retaliation,) wen't beyond the initial infraction.

now, that said, if you're willing to bomb somebody's navy when you aren't even at war, who is to say that you wouldn't kill american civilians in the same capacity if your country had nuclear / atomic technology?

Comment

• Possibly the most disheartening part of it all is seeing the movies of the time. You catch a Laurel and Hardy made after 1940 and it's all full of stuff like "gone to fight the Japs".

Stan Laurel blowing up a Japanese sub.... it just ain't right, is it? It's like Big Bird from Sesame Street making up for 9/11. (And Big Bird > Romney, demonstrably).

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
          I don't mind you triple portion of extra fries ****ers really, I'm just ****-stirring.

Say what?

barefoot gen.

you're a smart guy. i have a feeling that you'll appreciate it.

it's a BEAST of a movie. get ready to laugh hard and cry like a baby.

it retells the story of the bombing of hiroshima through the eyes of the child. it is not a kids movie, but it's childlike, if that makes any sense.

Comment

• Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at that.

I've just finished my Kurosawa run, and he tackles it a lot, it crops up repeatedly in his work. The most obvious being "I Live In Fear". I was gonna link it here, but I can't find the full video on YT.

Comment

• The Japanese would fight to the last man, it would have been a horrendous ground war. Just look at those Japanese soldiers that hid in the jungles on pacific islands into the 60s and 70s. We had fliers with pictures and letters from their families canvassed onto the jungles, and they thought it was America trying to trick them. They brought the soldiers grown up children out to the jungles with megaphones, and it took like 3 times before the guys finally came out of the jungle. They totally still thought it might be a trap too.

The reason people don't look back that poorly on the bombings I think has a lot to do with how brutal a country Japan had the reputation for being in the decades leading up to WWII.

Comment

• Why there is a double standard for the US? Japan attack Pear Harbor, US goes and destroys part of Japan. But is ok for the US to do it. 9/11 is a terrorist attack, but US invading Afghanistan and Iraq is ok because it is payback and we are going to teach them a lesson. I cant understand how anyone can justify what the US did in Hiroshima or any other country they invade killing by masses.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtcs1981 View Post
                  Why there is a double standard for the US? Japan attack Pear Harbor, US goes and destroys part of Japan. But is ok for the US to do it. 9/11 is a terrorist attack, but US invading Afghanistan and Iraq is ok because it is payback and we are going to teach them a lesson. I cant understand how anyone can justify what the US did in Hiroshima or any other country they invade killing by masses.
                  Its funny that you should mention 9/11, Iraq and Afghanistan ... Most if not all the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia or had some affiliation with the Saudi's -- and the Saudi's were never even considered viable for payback.

Comment

• Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                    Its funny that you should mention 9/11, Iraq and Afghanistan ... Most if not all the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia or had some affiliation with the Saudi's -- and the Saudi's were never even considered viable for payback.
                    I had a friend on vacation in Turkey when 9 11 happened and on the first reports there they said it was the Japanese who did it for revenge on Hiroshima.

Comment

• Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                      Here's a saying that holds true on one side of the coin, but also damns on the other side. "With knowledge, one can justify every act committed"

We have witnessed and read all the political justification's that can be offered in defense of committing such an egregious inhumane act ... Still none of the offerings excuse the reality that it lowered the status of human beings to the level of beasts.
                      I completely agree.

I would also ask that people take a look at current US policy on this basis.

Comment

Working...
                      X