Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Greb No1 LHW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ezzard Charles cannot be denied his throne at LHW.

Comment

An argument can be made but I wouldn't place him at the 1 spot. Pound for pound is a different story though.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
        Ezzard Charles cannot be denied his throne at LHW.
        That's what I call ADAMANT.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
          That's what I call ADAMANT.
          I gotta roll with DT88 on that one. For years I had Foster at number one, but I based it on h2h. As far as resume goes I think it's tough to argue against Charles. Like I said, arguments can be made, but a more convincing one than for Ez I have yet to see. It could happen and would be interesting, but for now Im also sticking with the Cincinnati Cobra.

Comment

Hard to compare the old guys like Greb and Charles with the new lhw's like Roy Jones and B-Hop. Different era's totally. Greb and Archie Moore are probably the greatest in terms of achievement though.

Comment

Originally posted by 0r1g1nal S1n View Post
              Hard to compare the old guys like Greb and Charles with the new lhw's like Roy Jones and B-Hop. Different era's totally. Greb and Archie Moore are probably the greatest in terms of achievement though.
              But not skill and dominance?

I gotta disagree my man. Competition determines how one fighter compares to another. Head to head Im not saying they are or are not better. But it's undeniable they fought better fighters and many more times. We can't say with certainty how Roy or Hop would fare fighting that often against that high a skill level of fighters, but we know for a fact how Greb and more did.

Comment

Archie Moore
                Ezzard Charles
                Sam Langford
                Gene Tunney
                Bob Foster
                Tommy Loughran
                Michael Spinks
                Bob Fitzsimmons
                Billy Conn
                Roy Jones, Jr.
                Maxie Rosenbloom
                John Henry Lewis
                Harry Greb
                Tommy Gibbons
                Philadelphia Jack O’Brien
                Jack Dillon
                Harold Johnson
                Jimmy Bivins
                Georges Carpentier
                Battling Levinsky

That's IBRO's all time list at LHW.
                Like Archie being at number one but could argue a fair bit of the rest but you have to give IBRO a hearing and some respect IMO.
                Personally I can't put Greb at 1 but I think a good case can be made for top 5. He beat 6 of their top 20 and as big a fan as I am of Loughran I can't see him 6 places above Greb on either resume or certainly H2H

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  I gotta roll with DT88 on that one. For years I had Foster at number one, but I based it on h2h. As far as resume goes I think it's tough to argue against Charles. Like I said, arguments can be made, but a more convincing one than for Ez I have yet to see. It could happen and would be interesting, but for now Im also sticking with the Cincinnati Cobra.
                  I have no problem with that,.. be we are surely agreed that these questions are rarely cut and dried, boxing does not have any "Bradmans"... or "Lindrums" in it... i.e.... someone who is absolutely twice as good as #2.... they were that good..... I rate them as the most invincible of the invincible in all sport. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- But unlike Lindrum in billiards, nobody was throwing punches (read, equalizers),.... although Bradman was having the odd cricket ball coming at his skull at 100 miles per hour,,... and no protection.... actually a cricket ball can kill as easily as a punch,... but I am diverging a bit, but the point being is that Bradman has hard and fast statistics to back up his godlike status, boxing is different to most sports,... the level of ambiguity in boxing is like no other, it's fun to discuss this but.... I think Charles may have struggled against Tunney for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                    Archie Moore
                    Ezzard Charles
                    Sam Langford
                    Gene Tunney
                    Bob Foster
                    Tommy Loughran
                    Michael Spinks
                    Bob Fitzsimmons
                    Billy Conn
                    Roy Jones, Jr.
                    Maxie Rosenbloom
                    John Henry Lewis
                    Harry Greb
                    Tommy Gibbons
                    Philadelphia Jack O’Brien
                    Jack Dillon
                    Harold Johnson
                    Jimmy Bivins
                    Georges Carpentier
                    Battling Levinsky

That's IBRO's all time list at LHW.
                    Like Archie being at number one but could argue a fair bit of the rest but you have to give IBRO a hearing and some respect IMO.
                    Personally I can't put Greb at 1 but I think a good case can be made for top 5. He beat 6 of their top 20 and as big a fan as I am of Loughran I can't see him 6 places above Greb on either resume or certainly H2H
                    I know of a MW who'd beat some of those names there,.. gee I have a lot more work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                      I know of a MW who'd beat some of those names there,.. gee I have a lot more work to do.
                      Actually on his best night he may be capable of beating any of them, I hate death.

Comment

Working...
                      X