• 1970/1971 Joe Frazier vs 1959/1960 Sonny Liston

15 Rounds.

Who do you think takes this?

I find it a very interesting fight.

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
    15 Rounds.

Who do you think takes this?

I find it a very interesting fight.
    can go either way..both are hard hitters....sonny had a great left jab and frazier arguablly had the Best left hook according to some in boxing history...but i would put my smart money on Sonny to win by either Early or Late KO Victory

Comment

Sonny takes this one for me by stoppage. He had the better jab, the better chin, the better right hand full stop and was just as intimidating. He also had a great engine too over 15 rounds.

Joe would have a chance if he got into the later rounds, but I'd doubt that he would.

Comment

Liston's left jab was brillant. Accurate, sharp and powerfull.

Comment

Well I'm not convinced that he could take Joe out.

Looking at Sonny's resume I'm not seeing anybody on there that's on Joe's level of skill, stamina, speed and heart. People were afraid to pressure Liston because of his crazy reach and crisp jab.

He made Patterson look like a ***** but Patterson is nothing like Joe Frazier and wasn't a solid 200+lb fighter.

I don't know what happened in the bouts with Muhammad Ali but that isn't a guy I'd ever pick to beat the Great Joe Frazier.

My money is on Joe to bob and weave through Sonny's jab, pressure the hell out of him, take his shots, and eventually land a night ending left hook to Sonny's jaw.
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post

Looking at Sonny's resume I'm not seeing anybody on there that's on Joe's level of skill, stamina, speed and heart. People were afraid to pressure Liston because of his crazy reach and crisp jab.

He made Patterson look like a ***** but Patterson is nothing like Joe Frazier and wasn't a solid 200+lb fighter.

I don't know what happened in the bouts with Muhammad Ali but that isn't a guy I'd ever pick to beat the Great Joe Frazier.

My money is on Joe to bob and weave through Sonny's jab, pressure the hell out of him, take his shots, and eventually land a night ending left hook to Sonny's jaw.
            you could be correct here...its a tough fight to call between two great pressure fighters, i think the heart & stamina lies with Joe Frazier

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by CarlosG815

Quote Sonnyboyx2
              you could be correct here...its a tough fight to call between two great pressure fighters, i think the heart & stamina lies with Joe Frazier

Co-signed

Comment

I can't get the image of Foreman's destruction of Frazier out of my mind, and Liston was similar to Big George. I think this is a bad fight for Joe. Joe would try to walk through fighters by trading with them, and it would have played right into the teeth of Liston's power. It would have been an epic slug fest for the short time it lasted, but I don't see Frazier doing well in this one.

Liston by KO over Frazier.

Comment

Glass Joe wouldn't make it out of the third round.He'd duck Liston anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
                    I can't get the image of Foreman's destruction of Frazier out of my mind, and Liston was similar to Big George. I think this is a bad fight for Joe. Joe would try to walk through fighters by trading with them, and it would have played right into the teeth of Liston's power. It would have been an epic slug fest for the short time it lasted, but I don't see Frazier doing well in this one.

Liston by KO over Frazier.
                    This is the 70/71 Frazier not the 73 version who was overweight with an ass like a horse on him, yet dont forget than even in that overweight condition Foreman could not knock him out, he put him down 6 times yet Frazier got to his feet each time by the count of 4 and was stopped on his feet, Foreman used illegal tactics of pushing Frazier off balance then punching with both hands which Liston would not get away with because Foreman knew he would never get away with it again., Foreman also hit Joe the back of the head

Comment

Working...
                    X