Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terry Norris: "If PBF & Pac fought in my era they wouldnt've been Champions"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Norris: "If PBF & Pac fought in my era they wouldnt've been Champions"

The 146th edition of On the Ropes Boxing Radio: Former three-time world champion “Terrible” Terry Norris (47-9, 31 KOs). Norris spoke about his Hall of Fame career and also shared some opinions and insight on the current boxing landscape. Here is a complete transcript from that interview:

CIANI: When you look at the stars in boxing today, the two big names we have right now are Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Junior, and I was wondering if you could tell the fans out there what you think of those guys?

NORRIS: You know I really don’t think too much of those guys. If they were back in my era they wouldn’t be champions. Boxing has gotten soft. If you put Floyd Mayweather in my era, I know a number of guys that were in my weight division that would beat him, including me! I don’t think that much of boxing today.

CIANI: Now you said you think you could beat Floyd. I’m curious Terry, a lot of fans tune in to Floyd hoping to watch him lose. In your view, what would be the key to beating him?

NORRIS: The key to beating Floyd is somebody that’s going to go in there and mix it up with Floyd. Not box him, but go at him, bang Floyd, push Floyd around, and hit him with uppercuts and hit him with things that he’s just not expecting to be hit with. You need somebody strong, somebody bold, and somebody that’s real aggressive and just throws a lot of punches, and goes in there in the best shape of their life and ready to go.

CIANI: Now given the description you just gave there, do you think if they ever fought that Manny Pacquiao could beat him?

NORRIS: No. Manny Pacquiao can’t beat him. There is no way Pacquiao can beat Mayweather! He comes forward, but he’s not that strong. He’s not like a real power puncher. He’s not as fast as Floyd, so Floyd will be able to outmaneuver him, throw different combinations, use his speed, and outmaneuver him. I believe that right there would be a very easy fight for Floyd.

JENNA: Okay now Terry, you mentioned before that Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Junior wouldn’t do so good in your era. I’m wondering, there were so many great fighters when you fought, was there any particular one that you wished you could have gotten in the ring with that you didn’t?

NORRIS: Not really. When I was fighting, I wanted to fight everybody but now that I’m not fighting I really don’t care. Back then I would have loved to have fought De La Hoya. I would have loved to have been able to fight Floyd. I would have loved to have been able to prove that Floyd is not the best fighter in the world, and I know I could have beaten him.

JENNA: Now you mentioned De La Hoya, you actually almost had an opportunity to fight him. I think that you were close to having a deal in place to fight him after the Keith Mullings fight, but you got upset. Do you at all regret not getting that fight?

NORRIS: Well you know I did for awhile, but it wasn’t in to my life. Ideally I did want that fight, but I guess God didn’t want it that way.

http://www.e a s t sideboxing.com/news.php?p=29604&more=1
    Yes he beats Mayweather & Pacquiao
    6.82%
    He beats Mayweather & loses to Pacquiao
    18.18%
    He beats Pacquiao & loses to Mayweather
    15.91%
    He doesn't beat either Pacquiao or Mayweather
    59.09%

Just Added Poll

Comment

Simon Brown was hardly a great fighter and he ko'ed norris....

I think he'd have a better shot at Manny than Mayweather..

Comment

I’m surprised he mentions regrets about not fighting DLH and not mentioning Trinidad’s name.

Tito and Norris were suppose to scrap but there were so many rumors between contract disputes with Don King and other rumors that we never got the truth to why these two never squared off. A fight between Tito and Norris prime for prime would have been epic.

Comment

What the 90's?

The 90's was great but it wasn't exactly the Golden Era.

Both Mayweather and Pacquaio easily win titles in the 90's. Easily.

Hell, Mayweather won titles in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Cash Cow View Post
            Simon Brown was hardly a great fighter and he ko'ed norris....

I think he'd have a better shot at Manny than Mayweather..
            Simon Brown was a pretty good fighter.

And Norris obviously beats Mayweather and Pacquaio he's a natural and elite Jr Middleweight.

Comment

Terry Norris was a good fighter in his day.
              But to say that Mayweather and Pacquiao would not have won a championship in his era is just plain stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Simon Brown was a pretty good fighter.

And Norris obviously beats Mayweather and Pacquaio he's a natural and elite Jr Middleweight.
                Terry Norris would not beat Mayweather IMHO.

Comment

disagree,lol both would had won multiple titles

Comment

Originally posted by Cash Cow View Post
                    [SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]
                    NORRIS: The key to beating Floyd is somebody that’s going to go in there and mix it up with Floyd. Not box him, but go at him, bang Floyd, push Floyd around, and hit him with uppercuts and hit him with things that he’s just not expecting to be hit with. You need somebody strong, somebody bold, and somebody that’s real aggressive and just throws a lot of punches, and goes in there in the best shape of their life and ready to go.

NORRIS: Well you know I did for awhile, but it wasn’t in to my life. Ideally I did want that fight, but I guess God didn’t want it that way.

http://www.e a s t sideboxing.com/news.php?p=29604&more=1
                    Deary me, hes describing exactly pacquioa.

Comment

Working...
                    X