No announcement yet.

Comparing the skills of Sugar Ray Robinson to Sugar Ray Leonard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    We can't really say since we haven't really seen his best days.

We see his wars with ATG's when he's past his prime like Bastillio and so forth. But to be honest, I have no doubt in my mind that Leonard would also bang with the likes of Bastillio and take unecessary shots, especially the MW version.

We didn't see Robinson's best day's like we did Leonard, but even then, Robinson's ring IQ still is one of the best I've ever seen.
    I doubt that seriously because when push came to shove how many times have you seen Leonard stand in there and bang 12 or 15 rounds lets say he fought Bastillo after Duran I think he woulda learned his lesson and when he came back to fight at middle weight he knew what his body could and couldn't do so he adjusted or ali'd it(throw flurries at the end of rounds and throw so jabs out and go for the ko if he hurt you) as for Robinson I think he shoulda dogged some fighters that he lost to I mean he if you ask me was that defensively sound an went off of athletisim at mw more then his boxing ability and ring iq

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
      I doubt that seriously because when push came to shove how many times have you seen Leonard stand in there and bang 12 or 15 rounds lets say he fought Bastillo after Duran I think he woulda learned his lesson and when he came back to fight at middle weight he knew what his body could and couldn't do so he adjusted or ali'd it(throw flurries at the end of rounds and throw so jabs out and go for the ko if he hurt you) as for Robinson I think he shoulda dogged some fighters that he lost to I mean he if you ask me was that defensively sound an went off of athletisim at mw more then his boxing ability and ring iq
      Couldn't be more wrong with that closing statment.

And, Ray Leonard used to bang with his opponents all the time. Leonard was a fighter.

Comment

[QUOTE=IronDanHamza;11658077]Couldn't be more wrong with that closing statment.

And, Ray Leonard used to bang with his opponents all the time. Leonard was a fighter.[/

I'll leave the robinson alone

But I don't see where you get that if you mean by fighter he would land his combo's and get out then yes if you mean by let's stand here and do the first Duran fight then no..

Comment

[QUOTE=MRBOOMER;11658094]

And, Ray Leonard used to bang with his opponents all the time. Leonard was a fighter.[/

But I don't see where you get that if you mean by fighter he would land his combo's and get out then yes if you mean by let's stand here and do the first Duran fight then no..
          They way he fought in the first Duran fight is how he fought for most of his career.

Comment

[QUOTE=IronDanHamza;11658134]
            Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post

They way he fought in the first Duran fight is how he fought for most of his career.
            He didn't. Stand there and slug and forget defense man if that was the case his career would have been even shorter cause of that bad eye getting hit so much.

Comment

[QUOTE=MRBOOMER;11658945]

He didn't. Stand there and slug and forget defense man if that was the case his career would have been even shorter cause of that bad eye getting hit so much.
              Yes, he did.

Ray Leonard didn't act at all out of character in the first fight.

He was as macho as anyone and loved getting into a scrap.

The only people who say otherwise and think Leonard was some pot shotting dancer who never wanted to engage are people who weren't around to see his career unfold. Like I said, Ray Leonard loved to bang himself.

Comment

Are you talking about Leonard? Or Robinson?

I think that description applies for both of them.
                Robinson moreso but, Leonard did like a fight as well there is no denying that. Anyone who says otherwise should get directions to Leonard vs Duran I.

Comment

[QUOTE=MRBOOMER;11658094]

Leonard fought flat footed an awful lot during his prime, he wasn't a dancer.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson is the Best ; Sugar Ray Leonard is the Fastest & Exciting.

Comment

Never ceases to amaze how many people still think Ray Leonard was a Floyd Mayweather type (classic backfoot Mayweather) and Hagler was a mini Tyson rushing you....

It was more out of character for these guys to fight the way they did vs Duran 2 (SRL) and vs Hearns (Hagler) than typical of them

Ray boxed like a dream when he wanted to though as demonstrated in the return with Duran, fast fast feet

Comment

Working...
                      X