• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Program

Ok - so here's what I'm thinking

Monday (Bench/Squat)
    Bench Press 6 sets x 3 reps
    Squat 6 sets x 3 reps
    Forearms and maybe biceps here as well...
    e.g.
    Barbel Curls 3 sets of 3
    DB curls 3 sets of 3
    Hammer curls 3 sets of 3
    Overhand burns 3 sets

Tuesday (roundout everything)
    Incline bench 3 sets of 3
    Military Press 3 sets of 3 reps
    Bent over lateral raises 3 sets of 3
    Close Grip Bench Press 3 sets of 3
    Dips 3 sets of 3
    Barbel Curls 3 sets of 3
    DB curls 3 sets of 3
    Calves 6 sets of heavy weight (10-20 reps)
    Abdominal work

Friday (back/biceps)
    Deadlifts 6 sets of 3 reps
    Widegrip Pullups 3 sets to failure
    Chins 3 sets to failure
    Bent over rows 3 sets of 3
    Hyperextensions 3 sets to failure
    Lying Leg curls 3 sets to failure

Idea:
    - All muscles worked within 3 work outs
    - Major core exercises (Bench/Squat/Deadlift) are worked extra hard. Six sets, 3 reps, 3-5min rest between sets.
    - Auxillary work on other muscle groups to maintain balance.
    - A day rest in between workouts, with two days complete rest over weekens to prepare for next week training.
    - Strictly for increasing power.

Due to the low reps, I want to reduce the frequency of training hence, this routine. Depending on how I feel I may even reduce frequency so I train one day, take two off.
    e.g.
    Mon train, Tue & Wed rest, Thurs train, Fri & Sat rest, Sun train,

I suspect with a routine this heavy, that might work better but I won't know until I try...

Let me know what you think.

- The Jake

It looks good to me, not that I would really know baby. You could always ask Spice by e-mail...

Comment

looks alright but if you are doing purely strength training, i would reduce the amount of sets on your major parts to around 3 sets of 6 reps or less.

Comment

I might end up cutting back but I find that three heavy working sets on the big lifts, well I feel like I should have done more. I might do at least 4 and see how I go. Most powerlifting programs have 6 sets on the big lifts. I think that's often largely though because there's no work on auxilliary muscles.

- The Jake

Comment

I've never really seen this type of workout, since I generally use a four day split to split the workouts into non-intrusive body parts, so I really wouldn't know what to comment on mate.

It sure as hell looks like a lot of work, but I'm not sure why you want to mix everything up in such a fashion - for instance on mon and tues, it looks like you're working your chest again a day after a heavy chest day - meaning that you aren't giving it enough time to recover...is there a reason for this? I've seen a fair few different types of workouts, and I've never seen any that advocate doing the same muscle group a day after doing it the first time.

From a bbing point of view, the shortest rest break I've seen between doing chest again in the same week is Ronnie Coleman's 3-3-1, where he does chest on monday (heavy day) and then again on wednesday (lower weight high rep day).

From a powerlifting point of view - I believe I read this on Dr. Hatfield's site, to maximally work up to your 1rm, do chest on mondays (relatively low reps - usually around 6 in a set) and then again on fridays (mainly doubles, and singles).

but I mean if its working for you mate, by all means dont let text books stop ya.

- m

Comment

It's the sort of workout I see more on powerlifting than you do with bodybuilding.

I could do the usual

mon: chest/triceps/shoulders
            wed: back/biceps/forearms
            fri: quads/hams/calves

as well.... that works

**** it. I think I'll just do a Dave Draper and do it all instinctively.

- The Jake

Comment

hahaha, dave draper also had the genetics and "gear" to do it

As for the split, have you ever tried a split like:

mon: chest, biceps
              wed: legs, shoulders
              fri: back, triceps, forearms

??? I read somewhere recently, that doing a chest and tri day together is antiquated training method, since the tris are already pre-exhausted by chest, hence your tri workout will be affected and you certainly wouldn't be able to use maximal poundage?

Just food for thought.

- m

Comment

yeah thats true so i have changed from my old 4 day split to one the same as yours with chest/bi back/tri

Comment

Might do that next week Magic.

Dave laid off the gear a long time ago btw.

Tonight I did

Bench Press
                  Dumbell Press
                  Incline Dumbell Press
                  Flyes

Machine Shoulder Press
                  Lateral raises
                  Bent over raises

Close grip bench
                  Overhead extensions
                  Tricep pushdowns

Forearm burns

All were about 3-5 reps a set and very heavy. Bench I only did about 315lbs x 1 before conking out but 1) it's my first day back 2) haven't been eating lots 3) bit stressed atm and I'm sure that factored into the training. Given time it will bounce back and be heavier than ever. I have no doubt

- The Jake

Comment

Originally posted by submission_guy
                    yeah thats true so i have changed from my old 4 day split to one the same as yours with chest/bi back/tri
                    thats not my actual split sub, I just made a split that would logically fit 3 days, since Jarrod works out 3 days instead of 4.

I personally workout 4 days, and looks like:

Mon: Chest + Bis
                    Tues: Legs
                    Thurs: Back
                    Fri: Delts + Tris

back and legs are big workouts so I usually do only one bodypart on those days.

Comment

Working...
                    X