Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, I think Robinson is the pound for pound GOAT and that Joe Louis is the best heavyweight and my favorite is Marciano.
    Last edited by Anthony342; 06-06-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I don't think Ray Robinson was the most technically sound fighter there ever was, or the most skilful, but he was a whirlwind of speed and power the likes of which I haven't seen on anyone else. Plus the resume, jumps in weight, he is my pick.

I pretty much agree with people who say that you can't compare the generations, based on activity level, and depth of competition, boxing is just not as mainstream, and the participation is not like it once was.

I also agree that if you take intangibles out of it, Floyd is arguably one of the most talented fighters to ever lace them up. Saying this here are some things to consider:

Fighters who make it to the highest level today, like someone already said, fight 1-2 maybe 3 times a year, and this really helps them to
      perform at an optimum level. But if you look at the top fighters pre 60's, they often fight every month, sometimes weeks. Even in the 60s and 70's you would see Ali take tough fights sometimes 4-6 weeks apart. This in my opinion, mixed with tougher competition, fewer belts, made it much harder to avoid defeat back then, and quite often great fighters would look like crap because they were carrying injuries, under or overtrained from lack of time to make weight, or just worn down from too many tough fights inn quick succession. Nowadays they have ample time to prepare, and better dieting, conditioning advice.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        I don't think Ray Robinson was the most technically sound fighter there ever was, or the most skilful, but he was a whirlwind of speed and power the likes of which I haven't seen on anyone else. Plus the resume, jumps in weight, he is my pick.

I pretty much agree with people who say that you can't compare the generations, based on activity level, and depth of competition, boxing is just not as mainstream, and the participation is not like it once was.

I also agree that if you take intangibles out of it, Floyd is arguably one of the most talented fighters to ever lace them up. Saying this here are some things to consider:

Fighters who make it to the highest level today, like someone already said, fight 1-2 maybe 3 times a year, and this really helps them to
        perform at an optimum level. But if you look at the top fighters pre 60's, they often fight every month, sometimes weeks. Even in the 60s and 70's you would see Ali take tough fights sometimes 4-6 weeks apart. This in my opinion, mixed with tougher competition, fewer belts, made it much harder to avoid defeat back then, and quite often great fighters would look like crap because they were carrying injuries, under or overtrained from lack of time to make weight, or just worn down from too many tough fights inn quick succession. Nowadays they have ample time to prepare, and better dieting, conditioning advice.
        Floyd's intangibles aren't that bad at all IMO, in fact I'd say they are very good. Even relative to history itself.

Comment

sadly your friend hasnt seen alot of boxing

Comment

Poll has 15% think Floyd is GOAT. Might as well say Calzaghe is GOAT. This reminds me of the late 70s when kids running around saying KISS was the greatest band of all time. Now of course we know it was just a fad.

Floyd got skills. Great defense. Not alot of power. HOF yes. ATG maybe. GOAT........no.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              sadly your friend hasnt seen alot of boxing
              That's exactly what I told him lol. Nice photo. Is that Willie Pep in your avatar?

Comment

Working...
              X