Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF Floyd ends his career with Canelo/Martinez...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
    I have no choice, but to call him the greatest boxer of this ERA.

IF Floyd, fights and beats Canelo, then goes onto fight, AND beat Sergio Martinez, no boxing fan, casual or die hard can deny his status as the greatest boxer/fighter of this ERA.

The problem is, I don't think he would ever take on this challenge.

No one can deny his technical boxing, greatness. H2H, I think he holds up against any 130 lb. fighter. i remember watching him fight Corrales live on HBO. I remember looking forward to that fight for months at that time. I honestly did not expect him to put on a boxing lesson like that. If there's one, single fight that displayed all his talent, THAT was THE one. After that fight, I was HOOKED.

I'm gonna keep it real. When Floyd retired, after beating Hatton, I wasn't even mad. Since he was my favorite fighter at the time, I felt like he earned a retirement at that point ( at the time, I was a huge boxing fan, but was still a noob, because I didn't follow boxing, like I do today). I felt like he'd beat Cotto at the time. Not because I completely broke down, and assessed the fight, but because I thought he could beat any fighter at the time, within his weight class.

The only fighters I thought he'd have trouble with were Paul Williams, Mosley, and Margarito. Let me make this clear. I am not bashing Floyd in any way possible for not taking those fights. If you truly followed his whole career, you knew that he was naturally too small to fight those guys at the time.

There are a lot of details I'm skipping, because I don't want to turn this into long winded post (even though I already have).

At the end of the day. Floyd is undoubtedly, one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of boxing gloves, in any generation/ERA. He made me a fan when he was younger, and fighting some top notch fighters. Then he moved to WW, and sort of flaked.

I also followed Pacquiao's career, since his early days. When Floyd retired, Manny filled that void of boxing excitement/greatness, and then some.

I'm going to be completely honest. I don't remember, exactly when I started disliking Floyd. I was so caught up in Manny's career, and thought floyd came back, because he didn't want another fighter to take his p4p shine (even though everyone knew he was coming back).

At the time, I fell in love with Manny's fighting style, and his pension to go up, and have great success, against naturally bigger fighters. I always root for the under dog, so I was a total Pacquiao homer.

Then Floyd came back, and started dissing him. That's when I had to choose sides. Not going to get into that.

Long story short. IF Floyd fights, and beats both Canelo, and Sergio. He goes down as the GREATEST FIGHTER/BOXER OF THIS ERA. Hands down.

I don't think anyone could possibly make an arguemnt.

I'm truthfully speaking as a way bigger Pacquiao fan, but I'll give that title up to him, IF he accomplishes those 2 things, before he retires.
    It WILL NOT HAPPEN!! Floyd will duck em & maybe fight them when the time is right... wait until one of them gets a beating... then he will take em.

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
      the standards of the haters is truly ridiculous. why aren't you people campaigning for Floyd to fight guys in his own weight division(s)? the last I checked, every single non-top rank opponent at 147-154 that has been mentioned for Floyd to fight, has been shot down by all of the mayweather haters for no single good reason other than it's "a mismatch". how the **** is that floyd's fault? you should be giving the guy props for being better than everyone in his division rather than forcing him out of his division into fights he's unlikely to win. it really shows your hatred for the guy
      Floyd only fights guys he favourite against and even then only once a year at most. If he fought 3 times a year against guys hes favorite against there would be a better chance of him losing, like Pac just has. The fact that Floyd is fighting someone hes favoirite against isnt the issue, its the fact that his big comeback fights are usually not a good enough body of work with someone of his reputation. He needs to fight Sergio and Canelo at 154, Floyd has a chance at those weights against these guys and its a challenge.
      Dont bloat guys like JMM and then refuse to practice what you preach. Floyd needs to bloat himself up as well to see if he can do it.

Floyd wont even dare drain Sergio down to 154, thats how underachieving mentality floyd has. He will only fight people he is expected to beat. Then the excuses from Floydies are no ones favourite to beat Floyd? But draining Sergio down to 154 is scary somehow.
      Last edited by hugh grant; 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
        Floyd only fights guys he favourite against and even then only once a year at most. If he fought 3 times a year against guys hes favorite against there would be a better chance of him losing, like Pac just has. The fact that Floyd is fighting someone hes favoirite against isnt the issue, its the fact that his big comeback fights are usually not a good enough body of work with someone of his reputation. He needs to fight Sergio and Canelo at 154, Floyd has a chance at those weights against these guys and its a challenge.
        Dont bloat guys like JMM and then refuse to practice what you preach. Floyd needs to bloat himself up as well to see if he can do it.

Floyd wont even dare drain Sergio down to 154, thats how underachieving mentality floyd has. He will only fight people he is expected to beat. Then the excuses from Floydies are no ones favourite to beat Floyd? But draining Sergio down to 154 is scary somehow.
        I love this post.

First you say floyd only fights people he's favored against. then you say fight sergio or canelo at 154. Of course he'd be still be the favorite in both fights. So you contradict yourself once.

Then you say if sergio comes down to 154 he'd be "drained", which convienently gives you the ability to criticize the fight and a floyd win should they fight. Then of course you also say floyd is scared to fight Sergio at 154, after saying he only fights opponents he's expected to beat. so you contradict your own argument again.

You sucked of Hatton, he got KTFO. You sucked off Manny, he got KTFO! If you want floyd to get KTFO, well, even someone like you can figure the rest out.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
          I love this post.

First you say floyd only fights people he's favored against. then you say fight sergio or canelo at 154. Of course he'd be still be the favorite in both fights. So you contradict yourself once.

Then you say if sergio comes down to 154 he'd be "drained", which convienently gives you the ability to criticize the fight and a floyd win should they fight. Then of course you also say floyd is scared to fight Sergio at 154, after saying he only fights opponents he's expected to beat. so you contradict your own argument again.

You sucked of Hatton, he got KTFO. You sucked off Manny, he got KTFO! If you want floyd to get KTFO, well, even someone like you can figure the rest out.

Big Dunn buries Hugh Grant in fine style.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
            Some people have forgotten about the 12th round of Chavez vs Martinez. No one knows if Martinez will ever be himself after that, he's suffered a serious knee injury and who knows exactly how his legs will be.
            He won't be the same. I expect people to be surprised when Martinez has a harder time than expected with Murray.

Martinez greatly deviates from the textbook and is overly reliant on moving a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
              I love this post.

No you are twisting my meaning to suit you. Im saying Floyd is favoured to beat everyone supposedly. So why not fight the most dangerous person he is favoured to beat instead of a nobody he is favoured to beat.
              Floyd is favoured to beat Donaire as well but he would get more credit for beating a 154 sergio who some think he is favoured to beat at that weight.

On the other hand you have people saying why should floyd step up to 154 his not natural weight to fight Sergio and get killed. Its any excuse so Floyd dont have to fight one after another.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant
                Quote:

Originally Posted by blacraven

This^^^^^^^ so we can silence the talk about him not being the Greatest of this ERA because all the evidenve shows he is.
                Its just Superman syndrome. People want nothing less that world domination from the man of steel. if he defeats Spiderman then they'll say he didnt beat Batman, if he beats Batman they'll say he didnt fight The Hulk. It wont stop and because he's Superman everyone thinks its ok to hold him to these crazy standards that mere mortals are not held up to. They wouldve been called a mere mortal the greatest under the same circumstances.
                Just saying

Everyone thinks Floyds mortal and an underacheiver. You ask him to fight sergio at 154 then floydies come out of the woodwork crying Floyds a 147 guy.
                sounds like 2007 when boxing asked him to fight the best welters. "he doesn't have to. he can easily make 140 .plus he would beat them anyways. he's not really a welterweight. "

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
                  sounds like 2007 when boxing asked him to fight the best welters. "he doesn't have to. he can easily make 140 .plus he would beat them anyways. he's not really a welterweight. "

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                  Yes i remember when he ran from Hatton at 140 and only beat Gatti, bless gatti.

See we have to go back a while when he fought dangerous opponents. Not guys like SSM and Cotto who have 8 losses between them and not top tier prime opppnents.

Come on. Floyds favourite against Sergio, Canelo, Pac, broner. So lets see him fight some of these guys.

Comment

No you are twisting my meaning to suit you. Im saying Floyd is favoured to beat everyone supposedly. So why not fight the most dangerous person he is favoured to beat instead of a nobody he is favoured to beat.
                    Floyd is favoured to beat Donaire as well but he would get more credit for beating a 154 sergio who some think he is favoured to beat at that weight.

On the other hand you have people saying why should floyd step up to 154 his not natural weight to fight Sergio and get killed. Its any excuse so Floyd dont have to fight one after another.
                    ok so you want floyd to fight a somebody he is favored to beat. so floyd, IYO, fights the "drained" MW champion at 154, a fight which you will give him more credit for. But you are saying sergio would be "drained" so how are you going to give credit when you are already lableing sergio "drained"?

oh, now I get it after reading the 2nd paragraph. Start with the opinion that floyd will get killed by Sergio at 154. Then call sergio "drained" at 154. That way if they don't fight, you can say floyd is scared and a duck and if they do fight and floyd wins, well sergio is "drained" and the win is reduced, and if sergio wins floyd is reduced because he lost to a "drained" fighter. SO either way you have something to criticize floyd for.

Man you are really a piece of work.

Comment

Yes i remember when he ran from Hatton at 140 and only beat Gatti, bless gatti.

See we have to go back a while when he fought dangerous opponents. Not guys like SSM and Cotto who have 8 losses between them and not top tier prime opppnents.

Come on. Floyds favourite against Sergio, Canelo, Pac, broner. So lets see him fight some of these guys.
                      this is a lie. I spoke to floyd in Vegas in 03 and he said the long range plan was for him to fight Gatti. I sat next to and personally spoke to Gatti (RIP) on the flight back to Jersey from the ODH/BHop fight. He said he would be fighting floyd down the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X