No announcement yet.

More technically skilled - Donald Curry or Ricardo Lopez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curry was, but Lopez was better.

When Curry beat Milton McCrory, he really impressed me. I had thought for sure that Milton was going to win that fight.

Taking nothing away from Lopez, but I think that Curry hit a higher plateau than Lopez did, although Lopez stayed greater longer.

As for the question posed about who's is more technically sound of the two, I'd say Curry was "purer". But I feel that Lopez was by far the better champion between the two of them. Lopez's career was stellar.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      Lopez threw looping punches at times. Curry's shots were drum-tight. But, Lopez's looping shots were by design and extremely effective.

i was thinkng of a decent way to put my stance on this one down in words and then i read your post and decided it wouldnt be necessary

curry was technically perfect. that's what he wanted to do out there.
      "drum-tight" picture perfect. a coaches wet dream.

his greatness // very goodness was a product of that technique. he endeavored to be technical.

Lopez technique was a means to an end. eventually a minimumweight who hits like that wants to let his hands go.

not as technical perhaps, but certainly the greater fighter.

smaller fighters generally let their hands go more, anyhow
      curry was a good sized guy who could bang a little bit himself and would be fighting ww's and jr mw's who can also bang.

two aesthetic boxers

nacho berastein boxers always look great when they punch.

Comment

Curry was a bit stiff. Arguello was more textbook than either.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
          When Curry beat Milton McCrory, he really impressed me. I had thought for sure that Milton was going to win that fight.

Taking nothing away from Lopez, but I think that Curry hit a higher plateau than Lopez did, although Lopez stayed greater longer.

As for the question posed about who's is more technically sound of the two, I'd say Curry was "purer". But I feel that Lopez was by far the better champion between the two of them. Lopez's career was stellar.
          Yeah, I'd agree with this. Curry the slightly more sound fighter at his best, but Lopez was the greater fighter quite easily.

Comment

I used to enjoy Donald Curry's fight's a lot.

He was a real good fighter. Real good.

Comment

green k for ts for making me watch some of both for the first time in this decade.

Comment

I think it's Lopez, Curry was brilliant in his prime for making people miss in the pocket and making people pay with short, compact punches but I think Lopez was technically a better fighter is more areas, one of the best textbook fighters I've ever seen.

Curry had a flaw he never was able to fix, dropping his right hand and leaning straight back, almost got his head knocked off by McCallum because of it.

Comment

Working...
                X