Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do fighters and trainers hide certain aspects of their game?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do fighters and trainers hide certain aspects of their game?

I was watching a recent video from Ronnie Shields and he said they're gonna surprise Canelo. That they're gonna do things that Canelo never thought Lara would be able to do. I think they were referring to body punching mainly (maybe other things).

Now, he could've easily just been talking out of his ass but it got me wondering. Do fighters and trainers hide certain aspects of their boxing game till the situation calls for it?

One of the most recent examples is Danny Garcia. Nobody thought he would be able to move and hit Matthysse like he but I thought he did pretty well. Prior to Matthysse, Danny had the option to box but we never saw it because he was having success with his current style.

I need Rockin', Ray and Cuauhtemoc on the scene.

I think some boxers do, take for example Crawford, I have sneaky feeling he's going to show us all what he's about this weekend. Crawford is believed to be a boxer, rather than a boxer/puncher but people mistake his ability to KO people aswell, he has a mean right hand and its severely underrated.

He stated himself he isnt interested in pleasing the fans, he comes to win, but he know's he doesn't want to end up like Rigo so he has got to show something which will attract views.

Comment

Originally posted by Badzi87 View Post
      I think some boxers do, take for example Crawford, I have sneaky feeling he's going to show us all what he's about this weekend. Crawford is believed to be a boxer, rather than a boxer/puncher but people mistake his ability to KO people aswell, he has a mean right hand and its severely underrated.

He stated himself he isnt interested in pleasing the fans, he comes to win, but he know's he doesn't want to end up like Rigo so he has got to show something which will attract views.
      Ive seen some highlights of him throwing some bombs. Back when he had longer hair.

Am I overthinking this?

Comment

I dont think they hide it but I think they work on alot of things and different fights have different game plans. One that comes into mind was Hopkins. Pretty much always a mauler but surprised everyone by coming out boxing against Tito. Tito clearly wasnt prepared for that and just knew Hopkins would try to manhandle him and go toe to toe. I dont think Hopkins was hading that side of his aresnal. He just never had to use it but he respected Titos power and they saw how Oscar outboxed him so they felt X had the goods to do the same.

Similar how MAB changed over the 2nd half of his career and became a top notch elite pure boxer when alot of people thought he was just a non stop fighting machine. He showed he had great poise & technique that made his career also last longer

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
          I dont think they hide it but I think they work on alot of things and different fights have different game plans. One that comes into mind was Hopkins. Pretty much always a mauler but surprised everyone by coming out boxing against Tito. Tito clearly wasnt prepared for that and just knew Hopkins would try to manhandle him and go toe to toe. I dont think Hopkins was hading that side of his aresnal. He just never had to use it but he respected Titos power and they saw how Oscar outboxed him so they felt X had the goods to do the same.

Similar how MAB changed over the 2nd half of his career and became a top notch elite pure boxer when alot of people thought he was just a non stop fighting machine. He showed he had great poise & technique that made his career also last longer
          Thats what Im talking about.

But isnt that the same thing? If you're not using it then you're hiding it.

Another example is Gamboa. He was a tazmanian devil in there but then from the Ponce fight on he was all technical.

Comment

Robert Garcia should take note, the dude lets Elie Seckbach record almost anything at his gym.

But I think especially during media days, they hide certain aspects. While some fighters/trainers dont watch tape, there are others that will religiously view opponent tape and get all the information they can.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
              Ive seen some highlights of him throwing some bombs. Back when he had longer hair.

Am I overthinking this?
              Nope you're not overthinking it, your correct, allot of people do tarnish a fighter with the same brush when they see him fight the style that they're used to, and when it becomes ineffective they say oh he's one dimensional.

That's true in some cases i.e Provo, and Rios, However like with Garcia, he showed he had to box rather than counter (like he usually did) against Matthysse, Crawford too boxes usually but the boy hides his bombs and they're always there at his disposal if needs be.

There are plenty more examples I guess, now as much as I hate Broner I think when the pressure is on, and he actually comes forward he has some skills, its when he adapts to his BS Mayweather style he looks terrible. I think with Broner though its not hiding he's just too plain stupid to know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                Robert Garcia should take note, the dude lets Elie Seckbach record almost anything at his gym.

But I think especially during media days, they hide certain aspects. While some fighters/trainers dont watch tape, there are others that will religiously view opponent tape and get all the information they can.
                Im not just talking about media days tho. Like I said, people see fighter A fight certain way their whole career then when an opponent comes along people say well, the way he fights he'll never beat this guy. Then come fight night they completely transform their style. Danny didn't completely transform his style but he did something no one thought he could or would do.
                Originally posted by Badzi87 View Post
                Nope you're not overthinking it, your correct, allot of people do tarnish a fighter with the same brush when they see him fight the style that they're used to, and when it becomes ineffective they say oh he's one dimensional.

That's true in some cases i.e Provo, and Rios, However like with Garcia, he showed he had to box rather than counter (like he usually did) against Matthysse, Crawford too boxes usually but the boy hides his bombs and they're always there at his disposal if needs be.

There are plenty more examples I guess, now as much as I hate Broner I think when the pressure is on, and he actually comes forward he has some skills, its when he adapts to his BS Mayweather style he looks terrible. I think with Broner though its not hiding he's just too plain stupid to know any better.

Comment

Oooohh I think one of the perfect examples is Mares.

People thought since he was a brawler that Ponce would kill him due to size and power. But what did Mares do? He SURPRISED everyone and actually boxed.

Comment

I think for any fan to judge a fighter's plan based off such little video released through media workouts is just dumb. Those videos are at max like what 45 minutes long?

If you think about it they train everyday for at least 2 months, and they probably train a minimum 2 hours each day as well. So there is definitely a lot behind the scenes the fans dont see. I'm sure many coaches that like to think have many unseen talents through their brainstorming. There must be many things Nacho, Roach, Angel/Robert Garcia have not shown us.

Look at Floyd, Floyd does the same mitt work and jump rope every damn media workout so bonehead fans always think its some brand new **** because its so flashy to them. But you can almost guarantee while the cameras aren't there they are putting in real practice and not just the routines for the media.

How else would of Manny evolved from the double jab left hand fighter he used to be? We see the outcomes of these hidden tactics but we as fans rarely get to see the planning in action.

Comment

Working...
                    X