Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better P4P: Willie Pep or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever man..........

Like I said. You could not consistently hit Pea with ANY punch over the course of 12 rounds. Get the "F" off my page, HATER.

Comment

I dont think you can use the argument that pep had over 200 fights.. That shouldnt give you extra credit.. It was a different era where there was little to no revenue outside of the gate receipts... There was not alot of money coming from sponsors, international rights, tv, ppv, etc..
      To get paid you had to fight alot, and sell tickets..
      But lets not act like the old school fighters were taking dangerous fights every fight.. if they fought 12 times in a year, they would really only fight 1 or 2 legit guys in that span and then alot of stay busy fights.. Todays fighters are the exact same but they dont fight 8 or 9 stay busy fights in a year.. They for the most part fight the one or 2 top level fights..
      There is no doubt in my mind that if you have pernell or floyd, etc fighting 10 soft touches and 1 or 2 big fights per year, they would have the same success as the old school fighters..

Its just nowadays there is so much money available in a single fight that their is no need for guys to fight 10 times a year...

i dont think its fair to give extra credit to the old school fighters because it wasnt like they were fighting murderer's row every fight.
      Look at chavez and toney, they are about as close to an old school schedule as one can get in the modern era, and though they had some great wins, the majority of their fights were stay busy fights.. A guy like ray leonard had a small amount of fights but he didnt take hardly any stay busy fights, i dont think you can penalize him for not having 100 fights in his career..

Just different eras, but the level of competition is about the same IMO,, Its just the more modern guys dont mess around with all the stay busy fights because they arent reliant on the live gate money

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
        Like I said. You could not consistently hit Pea with ANY punch over the course of 12 rounds. Get the "F" off my page, HATER.
        Your page? This is an open forum you moron.

Whitaker despite having a great defense was hit consistently in multiple fights.

You're clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          I dont think you can use the argument that pep had over 200 fights.. That shouldnt give you extra credit.. It was a different era where there was little to no revenue outside of the gate receipts... There was not alot of money coming from sponsors, international rights, tv, ppv, etc..
          To get paid you had to fight alot, and sell tickets..
          But lets not act like the old school fighters were taking dangerous fights every fight.. if they fought 12 times in a year, they would really only fight 1 or 2 legit guys in that span and then alot of stay busy fights.. Todays fighters are the exact same but they dont fight 8 or 9 stay busy fights in a year.. They for the most part fight the one or 2 top level fights..
          There is no doubt in my mind that if you have pernell or floyd, etc fighting 10 soft touches and 1 or 2 big fights per year, they would have the same success as the old school fighters..

Its just nowadays there is so much money available in a single fight that their is no need for guys to fight 10 times a year...

i dont think its fair to give extra credit to the old school fighters because it wasnt like they were fighting murderer's row every fight.
          Look at chavez and toney, they are about as close to an old school schedule as one can get in the modern era, and though they had some great wins, the majority of their fights were stay busy fights.. A guy like ray leonard had a small amount of fights but he didnt take hardly any stay busy fights, i dont think you can penalize him for not having 100 fights in his career..

Just different eras, but the level of competition is about the same IMO,, Its just the more modern guys dont mess around with all the stay busy fights because they arent reliant on the live gate money
          I agree I don't think that's a solid argument either.

Pep had many more fights but a lot of those weren't against good opponents.

Comment

Matter of..........

It's all a matter of opinion. You just like to argue which shows your immaturity. Every fighter gets hit, idiot. What's your point? I'm clueless? Check my stats *******. Good bye.

Comment

It's all a matter of opinion. You just like to argue which shows your immaturity. Every fighter gets hit, idiot. What's your point? I'm clueless? Check my stats *******. Good bye.
              Solid rebuttal.
              It's not really a matter of opinion, the McGirt fight for example Pea got hit pretty consistently and too accuse IronDan of being immature after posting this ****
              is ridiculous, you hater .

It's the history section, I think most of us are here to argue / try too debate not wank over our favourite boxers.

Comment

Yes you're clueless.

You just said "Whitaker doesn't get hit" now you're saying "every fighter gets hit" so what are you even saying?

You said Whitaker wouldn't get hit by Maidana well he got hit consistently by Hurtado and Riveria who aren't as good as Madiana. Got hit consistently by McGirt, dropped by Mayweather.

Check your stats Embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Check your stats Embarrassing.
                  If you ever wanted a chance to pull out your "Poster Of The Year" card, here's your opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    If you ever wanted a chance to pull out your "Poster Of The Year" card, here's your opportunity.
                    Poster of the year 2012.

Runner up 2013.

Get it right mate

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      It's not that they were fighting killers every fight (although I would argue that with so many gyms/ licensed boxers/trainers back then the quality of the average pug was higher than it is today) it's that they were constantly fighting, staying sharp, and honing their craft.

Like anything else in life the more you practice the better you are going to be. To me they absolutely should get extra credit for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X