Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was RJJ too fast at MW to be beaten by anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody in that class was close to the speed and skill of RJ. There has never been a complete domination of weight class like Roy was doing back then (although he didn't fight and beat everyone). No one had a remote chance of beating him. Not even BHop, he could give him a decent fight and would not get KO'ed but there was no way he could box with him and win a decision. There was also no way he could catch roy and KO him

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      Why not? Hopkins was 28 and in his 24th pro fight, and didn't lose again for another 15 or so years dominating everyone along the way. Both guys were in their fighting primes(which lasted for another 11-17 years).
      Fighters learn by doing and Hopkins did not have 1 mln am bouts, but f-ck numbers and arguments...

just watch Hopkins at the time (pick the first Marcado fight or some other guy, i think everything is on yt now) and watch Hopkins against Echols or Johnson (first ones coming to my mind). You don't see any improvement, not even in positioning and accuracy? or in his ability to constantly foul without getting caught?

Obviously Jones speed, movement and IQ would have always been a nightmare, and Jones improved too (to a lesser extent, as he was more experienced and had a style which relied more on physicality). IMO no way Hopkins would get the W until Jones is past it, but that does not mean that Hopkins 93 is the same as Hopkins 98-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by rocktx View Post
        Nobody in that class was close to the speed and skill of RJ. There has never been a complete domination of weight class like Roy was doing back then (although he didn't fight and beat everyone). No one had a remote chance of beating him. Not even BHop, he could give him a decent fight and would not get KO'ed but there was no way he could box with him and win a decision. There was also no way he could catch roy and KO him
        wtf are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post
          Fighters learn by doing and Hopkins did not have 1 mln am bouts, but f-ck numbers and arguments...

just watch Hopkins at the time (pick the first Marcado fight or some other guy, i think everything is on yt now) and watch Hopkins against Echols or Johnson (first ones coming to my mind). You don't see any improvement, not even in positioning and accuracy? or in his ability to constantly foul without getting caught?

Obviously Jones speed, movement and IQ would have always been a nightmare, and Jones improved too (to a lesser extent, as he was more experienced and had a style which relied more on physicality). IMO no way Hopkins would get the W until Jones is past it, but that does not mean that Hopkins 93 is the same as Hopkins 98-2000.
          Hopkins fought as a teen and while in prison. He wasn't new to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Myth.

Oh and if you arer going to bring up Eubank and Benn then you need to also bring up Thulani Malinga who beat Benn and fought Eubank VERY close.
            I was actually just about to type Malinga in but he'd style against Eubank would not have worked against RJJ. H2H, forgetting what Thulani did against Benn and Eubank, I see him getting dominated by RJJ.

Originally posted by wmute View Post
            I don't see Robinson beating Jones in a real matchup. p4p different story of course...
            Why not? At middleweight I think Robinson was the better fighter, tad slower than Jones but he hit hard enough, could work on the inside, threw better combinations and was simply more tenacious. A mad Robinson was a dangerous Robinson. He could tie up and beat RJJ on the inside then hit him with some HARD straight right hands.

At SMW or above, Jones still managed to retain much of his speed, not sure if Robinson would be able to do that, his only fight above 160 was for the LHW championship and he was winning that before it had to be stopped.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
              Hopkins fought as a teen and while in prison. He wasn't new to it.
              please... teen and prison vs golden gloves and olympics

and again, and mostly... just watch the fights!

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
                I was actually just about to type Malinga in but he'd style against Eubank would not have worked against RJJ. H2H, forgetting what Thulani did against Benn and Eubank, I see him getting dominated by RJJ.

Why not? At middleweight I think Robinson was the better fighter, tad slower than Jones but he hit hard enough, could work on the inside, threw better combinations and was simply more tenacious. A mad Robinson was a dangerous Robinson. He could tie up and beat RJJ on the inside then hit him with some HARD straight right hands.

At SMW or above, Jones still managed to retain much of his speed, not sure if Robinson would be able to do that, his only fight above 160 was for the LHW championship and he was winning that before it had to be stopped.
                Robinson is equal to or better than Jones in pretty much every aspect, (except he did not give a damn about defense), but he is physically smaller.

How would Robinson tie up a bigger stronger man in Jones? Hopkins had a hard time doing so nad he is a VERY strong mw.
                And even if he did, what would Jones do while Robinson throws rights? No lefts hooks? Jones hooks are among the fastest punches in the history of the sport, even short ones, and he hurt many people with them.
                Last edited by wmute; 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

please... teen and prison vs golden gloves and olympics

and again, and mostly... just watch the fights!
                  Golden Gloves is the most overrated accomplishment in the history of combat sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                    Golden Gloves is the most overrated accomplishment in the history of combat sports.
                    if you say so

but fighting in gg, jr olympics... expose you to a higher level of competition (g-man tarver liles etc...) than local tournaments or jail tournaments, which is the only point i am making.

Comment

if you say so

but fighting in gg, jr olympics... expose you to a higher level of competition (g-man tarver liles etc...) than local tournaments or jail tournaments, which is the only point i am making.
                      This is true.

Comment

Working...
                      X