Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 1993, was there a bigger fight than Lewis vs Bowe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 1993, was there a bigger fight than Lewis vs Bowe?

Lets end this nonsense once and for all. In 1992 Mike Tyson was in jail and Riddick Bowe beat Evander Holyfield to become the undisputed heavyweight champion. A month later the two top heavyweights in the WBC squared off with Lennox Lewis stopping Donovan Razor Ruddock in 2.

Four years earlier Lewis and Bowe had faced off in the Olympic finals wit Lennox taking home the gold. Since that time and during both their rises to the top their future rematch had been talked about and anticipated in boxing circles and the press.

My question is....was there a bigger or better fight that COULD have happened in the heavyweight division in 1993? Unified champ vs number 1 contender. Rematch of Olympic finalists. The two universally recognized best of the big men.

So, in the opinion of the posters here, could a better heavyweight fight have been made in 1993?
    The fight needed time to build more
    6.90%
    It wasn't a fight many cared for at the time
    6.90%
    Absolutely the best fight that could have been made
    86.21%

The poll is expired.

What fight would have been bigger in 1993?

Comment

I think Lewis vs Bowe would of been perfect at that time. Got dang Bowe disappointed the heck outta me by not fighting Lewis. I used to live a few houses away from the mansion Bowe bought his mom in Maryland, maybe I should of went over there and told her to tell her son to man up. LOL

Comment

Any time there is a heavyweight unification bout it is big. If the fight would have come off it would be bigger if both champs made a defence or two and let the fight build up. But at any time it would have been the biggest fight in 1993. Had Bowe not lost to Holyfield in the rematch later in 93, it possibly would have happened eventually. It was a great year for great fights IMO.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNp12msEWqU

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Any time there is a heavyweight unification bout it is big. If the fight would have come off it would be bigger if both champs made a defence or two and let the fight build up. But at any time it would have been the biggest fight in 1993. Had Bowe not lost to Holyfield in the rematch later in 93, it possibly would have happened eventually. It was a great year for great fights IMO.

This fight is course assuming Bowe never dumped the WBC title. Both were undefeated and Lewis was the number one contender. Its pretty clear that outside of Holy, who just lost, these are the two best fighters in the division. No?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

This fight is course assuming Bowe never dumped the WBC title. Both were undefeated and Lewis was the number one contender. Its pretty clear that outside of Holy, who just lost, these are the two best fighters in the division. No?
              I agree. I think it would have been a great fight too, alot more competitive than alot of people might think.

Edit: I should have voted the biggest fight in 93'. I voted build more because I was thinking it could have been alot bigger after a couple defenses.
              Last edited by TBear; 01-14-2011, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Would of the unbeaten riddick bowe vs george foreman been bigger then lewis vs bowe??

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  What fight would have been bigger in 1993?
                  None that I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
                    Would of the unbeaten riddick bowe vs george foreman been bigger then lewis vs bowe??

No it wouldn't have. Lewis-Bowe would have been a unification fight with history between the two fighters. And Foreman never wanted a fight with Bowe anyway.
                    Last edited by joseph5620; 01-14-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X