Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hugging, holding, headlocks, pushing is destroying boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugging, holding, headlocks, pushing is destroying boxing.

Hugging, holding, headlocks, pushing the head is destroying boxing. And the people behind the scenes making sure the likes of Khan and Mayweather win despite that way of fighting are the ones responsible for having messed up and messing up the sport.

If you are ok with hugging, holding and pushing, better watch MMA. At least there something spectacular might actually happen like a submission instead of seeing the referree breaking up the clinch. I almost stopped watching the Algieri-Khan fight in the first half when I saw how much Khan was hugging, holding and pushing down Algieri's head. At least with Mayweather you are waiting for something spectacular like the pull-counter or the quick lunging left hook or just his defense when he doesn't run or hug.

Let's see the viewership when more boxers do this ugly style of fighting and when it is not Mayweather doing it. There's a reason the "Mexican style" of fighting is appreciated by even the likes of Golovkin.

Bernard Hopkins utilized this style and he's regarded as a legend. Muhammad Ali used it and he's regarded as a legend. Vladimir Klitsckho utilizes it and is seen as one of the most dominant heavyweights of all time.

Floyd Mayweather and Amir Khan don't hold as much as those guys did so stop with your complaining. I don't mind spoiling as a tactic, I only mind it when it's done excessively. Andre Ward is a guy who spoils way too much for my taste but I recognize his skill.

If you don't like it no one is forcing you to watch. So no, its not killing boxing.

Comment

The worst is when "Warriors" rabbit punch consistently and land combos well after the ref has broke the action ie Froch v Direll and Froch v Groves 1

Comment

Like I said, let's see after Mayweather retires.

People now don't watch boxing as much as they did in the past. Not on network TV.

Fact.

And the line "if you don't like it, then don't watch, no one's forcing you" is just plain stupid, showing lack of ability to defend one's position.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
          Bernard Hopkins utilized this style and he's regarded as a legend. Muhammad Ali used it and he's regarded as a legend. Vladimir Klitsckho utilizes it and is seen as one of the most dominant heavyweights of all time.

Floyd Mayweather and Amir Khan don't hold as much as those guys did so stop with your complaining. I don't mind spoiling as a tactic, I only mind it when it's done excessively. Andre Ward is a guy who spoils way too much for my taste but I recognize his skill.

If you don't like it no one is forcing you to watch. So no, its not killing boxing.
          And giving it a name "spoiling" does not make it legal.

It is illegal and boring.

Comment

Originally posted by sargo View Post
            Like I said, let's see after Mayweather retires.

People now don't watch boxing as much as they did in the past. Not on network TV.

Fact.

And the line "if you don't like it, then don't watch, no one's forcing you" is just plain stupid, showing lack of ability to defend one's position.
            Boxing is only now coming back into the mainstream. Let's wait another year to see if we're truly seeing a revival.

And this is a free market so if the people don't enjoy what they are seeing then they will not watch. The fighter and his promoter will suffer the loss in revenue because the network could not draw the desired ratings. That will force fighters to be more entertaining, when the people stop tuning in.

Like I said, I have no problem with spoiling. I only take issue with it when its done in excess.

And "spoiling" is the proper term, not hugging.

Comment

More and more, spoilers are being rewarded for making the fight as ugly as possible. Meanwhile, the guy who is trying to, you know, actually make the fight, is depicted as a skill-free bum who needs to overcome the clinching, the excessive running, the headlocks etc.

It's a pure safety-first approach from guys who are playing the system. Read Holyfield's article on this very point.

Comment

I noticed no one mentioned Hatton or Slappy Calzaghe. I don't mind when a boxer does it to nullify an opponent's momentum or if out of position. I don't even mind if someone do it after getting hurt to buy time. However, people like Khan and Klitschko hold on for dear life because they don't want to get hit at all. And then there is Carlos Molina who would hug his opponent the entire fight if he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post

Prime Bernard Hopkins when he was Khan's age didn't utilize it much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by sargo View Post
                    Hugging, holding, headlocks, pushing the head is destroying boxing. And the people behind the scenes making sure the likes of Khan and Mayweather win despite that way of fighting are the ones responsible for having messed up and messing up the sport.

If you are ok with hugging, holding and pushing, better watch MMA. At least there something spectacular might actually happen like a submission instead of seeing the referree breaking up the clinch. I almost stopped watching the Algieri-Khan fight in the first half when I saw how much Khan was hugging, holding and pushing down Algieri's head. At least with Mayweather you are waiting for something spectacular like the pull-counter or the quick lunging left hook or just his defense when he doesn't run or hug.

Let's see the viewership when more boxers do this ugly style of fighting and when it is not Mayweather doing it. There's a reason the "Mexican style" of fighting is appreciated by even the likes of Golovkin.
                    Yeah, Khan's performance last night was atrocious. Not warned one single time for blatant illegal tactics all night long....smh, I guess if you are on the "right team", anything is fair game.

Comment

Working...
                    X