Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walters contract with Top Rank is up? Signing with Haymon?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That explains a lot.

Comment

Walters will be much, much better off with Haymon anyway. Haymon's almost done taking away all of Arum's decent fighters anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post
        Allow me to first say, I doubt any of the Top Rank matchmakers actually thought this fight was going the distance...the style favored a Walters KO. But if they're truly that gifted at predicting and they had the foresight to see this going to the cards, it takes some balls to pay all three judges to produce a mere draw. It's boxing, so I suppose it could be possible. It's not a sport without corruption, but I don't think Walters is worth that risk. We're talking all 3 judges for a relatively invaluable fight that really was stylistically set up for Walters too look great in. At least Pacquiao lost to another Top Rank fighter, what's the value in Walters drawing with a guy Arum doesn't promote? C'mon, I ponder some conspiracy myself, but that's just a horrible waste of money.

Walters won, but he wasn't dominant at all. It says something when Harold Lederman (he's ringside just like the judges) keeps repeating that the rounds are close but Walters is doing enough to edge them. And then all three judges produce very similar results. I think it was just one of those days where they favored activity more than sharpness. They were wrong, but were they payed off? I don't think so. Not all three.
        Sure you make some sense with this post BUT you're not taking into consideration the contract situation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
          I would like Walters-Fortuna but that isn't a huge huge fight. Walters-Cherry or Walters-Pedraza are solid. Or could do a little 4 way and have like Fortuna-Cherry and Walters-Pedraza with the winner in a pretty important fight.

So I think 130 would be alright for Walters if he went to PBC, if he sticks with Top Rank he is traveling to Japan to fight Uchiyama which is a good fight also.
          Uchiyama is coming to the US he and his promoter have already stated this it's just a matter of how'll grow a pair, it's really that simple.

Walters vs anybody isn't a real big fight b/c Walters isn't really a big name so...

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Far be it from me to stop a mfer from eating lol. I just think 126 is where its at for him. He needs to hire a nutritionist or something maybe. Honestly it seems like he just got outta line one time with the weight. Previous to his title loss on the scales he was coming in light (.5-1lb) in his title fights. I don't think its a forgone conclusion he could get back to 126 or just do a ~128 catchweight vs those guys since catchweight fights are all the rage these days.

Eh, idk about all this. Mainly I think 130 isn't very exciting for Walters across the board whoever he's with. I mean there are competitive fights, but there are no big fights (Walters vs Loma, vs Mares, vs Santa Cruz, vs Russell, vs Selby). If Walters just wants trophies for his trophy room than fair enough 130 it is, if wants money for his bank account he needs to be watching his portion sizes & drinking more water.
            If by "big" you mean where guys get paid a lot then I guess

If you're talking about the best then Uchiyama-Vargas are potential FOTY and even the Loma fight can happen down the road when he moves up , you also have a possible Verdejo at LW , there are plenty of fights that could bring just as much money if he gets to headlining HBO cards

Comment

Originally posted by BattleAxePurist View Post
              If by "big" you mean where guys get paid a lot then I guess
              Big usually involves more money.

If you're talking about the best then Uchiyama-Vargas are potential FOTY and even the Loma fight can happen down the road when he moves up , you also have a possible Verdejo at LW , there are plenty of fights that could bring just as much money if he gets to headlining HBO cards
              By the time he's ready for 135 & Verdejo he will probably be past his prime & just in it for a payday anyway. There are a ****load of guys at the weight he was at. Like I said they could probably even fight at 128 or w/e if he can for sure not make 126 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ramplamp View Post
                That's awful. Explains the robbery, doesn't it? Boxing is disgusting. Now if he does go to Haymon he'll only be fighting cab drivers.
                This Plus he is signing with Haymon and will fight tomato cans and get paid millions ha

Comment

Originally posted by BattleAxePurist View Post
                  Uchiyama is coming to the US he and his promoter have already stated this it's just a matter of how'll grow a pair, it's really that simple.

Walters vs anybody isn't a real big fight b/c Walters isn't really a big name so...
                  Yea, that is true about Walters not being a big name but for a small guy he has been showcased a decent amount and he has a decent personality so with the right fights he could get decent attention for a small guy. He has to run off decent wins no matter where he goes to get there.

I will believe Uchiyama or any Japanese fighter is coming to the US or anywhere when I see them, not impossible especially since it has been happening more. Still it is something I need to see.

Comment

Working...
                  X