No announcement yet.

Monzon v's Hagler's title fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monzon v's Hagler's title fights

Both in terms of quality of opposition and the manner of their performances which middleweight championship career was more impressive, Monzon's or Hagler's?

I do think Monzon's opposition probably has a bit more variety in terms of style although Hagler's opposition perhaps had more power.

Monzon 15-0-0
    Benvenuti x2
    Griffith x2
    Valdez x2
    Bouttier x 2
    Moyer
    Bogs
    Briscoe
    Napoles
    Mundine
    Licata
    Tonna

Hagler 13-1-1
    Hamsho x2
    Obelmeijias x2
    Antuofermo x2
    Minter
    Lee
    Sibson
    Scypion
    Duran
    Roldon
    Hearns
    Mugabi
    Leonard

Originally posted by Humean View Post
    Both in terms of quality of opposition and the manner of their performances which middleweight championship career was more impressive, Monzon's or Hagler's?

I do think Monzon's opposition probably has a bit more variety in terms of style although Hagler's opposition perhaps had more power.

Monzon 15-0-0
    Benvenuti x2
    Griffith x2
    Valdez x2
    Bouttier x 2
    Moyer
    Bogs
    Briscoe
    Napoles
    Mundine
    Licata
    Tonna

Hagler 13-1-1
    Hamsho x2
    Obelmeijias x2
    Antuofermo x2
    Minter
    Lee
    Sibson
    Scypion
    Duran
    Roldon
    Hearns
    Mugabi
    Leonard

I will leans towards Hagler.. Most of the name fighters on his resume were either prime or close to it.. Monzon had a tad more faded names..

Comment

Valdez is one of the most underrated middleweight fighters ever gave Carlos all he could handle.

Comment

Monzon for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post

Monzon 15-0-0
          Benvenuti x2
          Griffith x2
          Valdez x2
          Bouttier x 2
          Moyer
          Bogs
          Briscoe
          Napoles
          Mundine
          Licata
          Tonna

Hagler 13-1-1
          Hamsho x2
          Obelmeijias x2
          Antuofermo x2
          Minter
          Lee
          Sibson
          Scypion
          Duran
          Roldon
          Hearns
          Mugabi
          Leonard
          This is a good thread idea. Of course, no one agrees already, and unfortunately an answer can only come in the form of an opinion. That is what you have asked for.

Benvenuti is maybe a near-great. Valdez was indeed very good. Griffith was old and a welterweight. I cannot remember Bouttier or Bogs. Moyer was not much. Briscoe was good, but long in the tooth too, if I am correct. Napoles was a great welterweight, maybe long in the tooth, too, by that time. Mundine and Licata were not much. I saw that fight closed circuit in San Francisco. I think it was one of the undercards (semi-main event) to a heavyweight title fight. Ali, I think. Was it Bugner? Anyway. I cannot recall Tonna.

Hamsho was a rugged brawler a la Maidana. I think he would beat most of the versions Monzon fought. It seems to me that most (not all) of Hagler's opponent sample here (title defenses) would defeat most of Monzon's sample.

I think Hagler's list is significantly superior to Monzon's, considering the stage of their careers the respective opponents were in. Hearns kills anyone on Monzon's list, is my take, and he is pretty quick about it. Leonard would struggle against a few, but would overcome all. In a round robin tournament, Hagler's opponents will devastate Monzon's. Duran would be beaten by three or four guys, but he would whip the rest handily, including Napoles and Griffith. Look for many early KO's in the tournament from Roldan and Mugabi. Hagler's lower tier does all right against Monzon's middle tier. That's just how I see it. In other words, an opinion. But since I am always right (I never disagree with myself), I guess that about settles it. Well, it's been a nice thread.

Comment

Working...
          X