Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the state athletic commissions reserve the right to overturn a bogus decision?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
    Hey man, it was a close fight!
    IT DOESN'T COUNT!
    Yeah, to the obvious fanboys!!

Comment

No they shouldn't, they should just order a rematch and declare the result a NC if the winner does not want the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Primera View Post
        I wouldn't mind it but I think it'd just turn into a popularity contest.

I don't have much to say about Harold Lederman other than his Pacquiao-Bradley scorecard was extremely biased and equally horrible. No way it was even close to 11-1 or 10-2 like he gave it. He must have been listening to Lampley call the fight to produce a scorecard that terrible.
        I feel the exact opposite, I don't see how you could possibly have given bradley any more than 2 rounds. I see people giving Bradley 4 or 5 rounds and apparently, we are watching a different fight. Bradley clearly got beat down in that fight, it wasn't remotely close. I had the same scorecard as Ledderman, and I believe Dan Rafael from ESPN did as well. I feel both these guys are extremely credible.

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        I just love how ts completely left out Pac-Marquez,lol!!
        I had pacquiao winning a close fight the first two times, and the third one a draw. Lots of people had the similar results. All three fights were very close. Some pacquiao fanboys believe that he destroyed marquez every time, and some pacquiao haters believe that marquez boxed circles around pacquiao. Truth is - the fights were close, I am a fan of both fighters and there is no result that could have been given that wouldn't have been regarded as controversial by the boxing community. To suggest otherwise... well you'd just be wrong. In reality when those guys fought, a large number of the rounds should have been considered a draw. Score those super close rounds as draw rounds and I bet your scorecard reflects what really happened a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by kenso View Post
          the State athletic commission could elect a constant "judge board" to reevaluate these bogus decisions.
          I like this idea. Have several judges re-score the fight, get the average scorecard and if it differs from the original decision then overturn it.

Originally posted by Roger08 View Post
          No the state would end up getting paid off by promoters and become a part of the problem.
          If they have a panel of 10 judges the promoters would have to bribe at least 6 of them. A lot more expensive than bribing 2 judges so it might be a deterrent.

they should be allowed to change rediculous decisions to No contests and order rematches however.
          Not fair for the guy who trained his ass off and actually won.

1. judging criteria needs to change have 5 judges score a fight on ring skill, effective aggresion and defense and give points out of ten for each category so a maximum of 30 points and deduct points if a fighter is knocked down (say 5 points)
          Too complicated. Remember judges only have a few seconds to write on their scorecards before giving them to the referee between rounds.

We need a simple scoring system that can measure how clearly a fighter won the round. How about this :

If you do just enough to win the round = 1 pt
          If you win the round clearly without doing damage = 2pts
          If you beat up and hurt your opponent without scoring a knockdown= 3pts
          Add one extra point for every knockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
            This is the problem... why do you limit it to high profile?
            Oh, it's fine if somebody gets robbed if they don't have a name.......
            This boils down to an issue of "manpower". To go through the review and overturn process for a fight that about 15 people saw at a YMCA somewhere probably isn't necessary. Also I think this is less of a problem on the small time level for a few reasons. One reason being that "corruption" and "bias" are much less of a factor in judging for "no-names". In other words, there is not much incentive to wrongly give a fight to a guy. Crowds also aren't going wild for a guy with 5 fights on his record, in reference to the "crowd cheering affects judging" argument.

Another reason is that on the amateur level, usually one guy is clearly better than the other. There aren't that many close fights. On the world class level, these guys are approaching the peak of skill and genetic potential - the skill disparity is much smaller.

Comment

Working...
            X