Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHEN SHOULD CLINTCHING be ALLOWED in BOXING?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xAUGUSTUSx View Post
    it's all about roughing up his opponent and breaking him down. Not scoring points.
    exactly. but they should take points from Hopkins because it's illegal. Hopkins is an impressive fighter when he's circling and nailing people with lead right hands. But other than that, watching him is an embarrassment. I would never tell a casual fan to watch a B-Hop fight because it's truly pathetic to watch.

Comment

A fighter should be allowed to clinch if he's hurt. That's permissible in my opinion. Ref says protect yourself at all times, and if that involves clinching so be it. Where it's not permissible is when it's used as a tactic to stifle the other man's work, a la Ruiz, Hatton, Wlad, Hopkins. And I really have no idea why refs let this slip. It's not only illegal and unsportsmanlike, but it makes fights totally boring as well.

Comment

Bottom line is, clinching is against the rules. Shouldn't be allowed. But is a ref really going to tell Hopkins to stop clinching? Is any ref going to tell a STAR he can't do it?

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
          that IS holding and hitting dude

wtf do you think holding and hitting means?
          what Bernard Hopkins does (holding with one hand and hitting with the other) is ILLEGAL. those blows he lands in those clinches do not count. they are not scored.

that's why I laugh when people say Hopkins is some sort of master for sneaking in shots in clinches. Sure, they might tag the opponent, but none of them count in the eyes of the judges.
          I deem only holding behind the head and hitting to be a no no IMO. Clintching you will often hear punch to get out by the reff. If you have a hand fee I think you should use it. That is just me. I rather not see it but if the other guy is going to grab you and hold one of you arms and be dumb enough to have the toehr one free than bang away. As for not being scored I can relate to that be as it may getting hit in the side in the hips behind the ears are all illegal tatics and used on the inside it is like having the ther guy push your head down and then he gets hit with a low blow. Either he is going to stop pushing your head down or he is going to be singing soprano after that fight. While I agree with you to some extent I also think that things are going to happen when fighting on the inside. When Jack Lowe was telling Kelly to get at Hopkins he was right in saying so. He was wrong in the ay he said it. He should have said something like this. "Kelly if he wants to hold and grab make him pay on the inside. You can be rough too. If the reff is going to allow it then make him pay.".....Lefty

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
            Bottom line is, clinching is against the rules. Shouldn't be allowed. But is a ref really going to tell Hopkins to stop clinching? Is any ref going to tell a STAR he can't do it?
            I asked Jay Nady why more refs don't dock Hopkins for it, and he gave me some bull**** answer saying "He does it where we can't see it."

Well, then, you're a **** ref if you've seen him do it on TV but can't catch him when it's your turn to officiate. I think Hopkins gets away with it because he's old and nobody wants to hand him a 1-point loss by docking him.

Comment

To me clinching should only be allowed when a fighter is badly hurt. Shane Mosley, Hatton and Berto use clinching as their defense and it needs to be stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by xAUGUSTUSx View Post
                Only when Floyd and other fighters that HBO wants to win fight.
                Dude please dont bring Floyd or Manny into this thread, its nice to discuss a topic not related to those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTYGUNZZ View Post
                  I deem only holding behind the head and hitting to be a no no IMO. Clintching you will often hear punch to get out by the reff. If you have a hand fee I think you should use it. That is just me. I rather not see it but if the other guy is going to grab you and hold one of you arms and be dumb enough to have the toehr one free than bang away. As for not being scored I can relate to that be as it may getting hit in the side in the hips behind the ears are all illegal tatics and used on the inside it is like having the ther guy push your head down and then he gets hit with a low blow. Either he is going to stop pushing your head down or he is going to be singing soprano after that fight. While I agree with you to some extent I also think that things are going to happen when fighting on the inside. When Jack Lowe was telling Kelly to get at Hopkins he was right in saying so. He was wrong in the ay he said it. He should have said something like this. "Kelly if he wants to hold and grab make him pay on the inside. You can be rough too. If the reff is going to allow it then make him pay.".....Lefty
                  you're allowed to hit the other guy when he holds you. those are legal blows. you just can't be the one doing the holding and the hitting.

example: when Vitali was hugging Lennox, Lewis hit him in the body like 10 times in a row. those all count because Vitali was doing the holding.

Comment

whenever ward,hopkins,dirrell or berto enter the ring
                    any other time its out of order

Comment

I asked Jay Nady why more refs don't dock Hopkins for it, and he gave me some bull**** answer saying "He does it where we can't see it."

Well, then, you're a **** ref if you've seen him do it on TV but can't catch him when it's your turn to officiate. I think Hopkins gets away with it because he's old and nobody wants to hand him a 1-point loss by docking him.
                      He had no problems seeing John Ruiz holding Roy Jones. Nady also did an extra ****ty job in the Morales-MAB rematch. No point deduction for MAB who was fouling all night.

Comment

Working...
                      X