Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you create muscle memory from shadow boxing alone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you create muscle memory from shadow boxing alone?

Just practising shadow boxing for 10 minutes a day. How far will that get you?

If you know what good technique is you can perfect it and instill good habits. Practice makes permanent so if you are going to practice makes sure you are not practicing garbage.

Comment

well ur muscles will remember how to shadowbox. but u aren't making xactly those same movements @ the heavy bag or n sparring. ya know what i'm sayin? ****'s slightly different imo.

Comment

But creating muscle memory is repetion. So i think shadow boxing is better than nohing i guess Nelson Mandella shadow boxed in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
          well ur muscles will remember how to shadowbox. but u aren't making xactly those same movements @ the heavy bag or n sparring. ya know what i'm sayin? ****'s slightly different imo.
          Hitting the heavy bag will teach you nothing about boxing. Mitt work and sparring is the only way to really get good.

As far as muscle memory, while shadow boxing, every time you block the right side, fire a left hook, and every time you block the left side, fire the right uppercut. When you slip right, fire a stiff jab, and when you slip left, fire a straight right.

When you finally get to spar, you'll already have these counters in your patterns. They hurt a lot more because your opponent doesn't expect them.

Comment

Also, bob-and-weave left and fire the left hook as you come up. Bob-and-weave right and fire the straight right as you come up.

Comment

viper,
              will do. When i go to the boxing gym i mainly just hit the heavy bag and skip rope and running machine mostly. And i shadow box in front of the mirror, i will practice those moves. Ive been practicing pivoting a lot recently and angles as well.

Comment

I find it hard fight without "someone there". So to help, I use a 4m rope and bob and weave using that, down the line, up the line for 3 minutes, 8 times. I shadow box in the shower, I shadow box down the road on the way home. I practice keeping my hands where they should be after a punch, as I have a nasty habbit of dropping my left after a hook. It's helped a lot, enough that my kai cho has noticed.

Comment

Hi guys,,,
                  Yeah you can achieve it alone with shadow boxing.Basically it is directed to increase your punch speed rather than reaction speed. it's meant for muscle memory so that the movement feels natural to your body so that your reaction time will increase.

Comment

Working...
                  X