Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do u think refs are intimidated by big name fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do u think refs are intimidated by big name fighters?

I've noticed in a many fights that when the fighter with the bigger name or like Paulie said "the more politically connected fighter" is in trouble or hurt inside the ring the ref gives way more time for the fighter to recover than they r supposed to like last night I think Pearson probably would have been stopped when he got hurt if he wasn't connected, and badu jack should have been stopped after the first kd when he was standing but very wobbly what do u guys think?

Originally posted by leathernvouges View Post
    I've noticed in a many fights that when the fighter with the bigger name or like Paulie said "the more politically connected fighter" is in trouble or hurt inside the ring the ref gives way more time for the fighter to recover than they r supposed to like last night I think Pearson probably would have been stopped when he got hurt if he wasn't connected, and badu jack should have been stopped after the first kd when he was standing but very wobbly what do u guys think?
    Maybe if the ref has no spine or is trying to be favorable to a big promoter/fighter. I hate bad refs even more than corrupt incompetent judges. The fighters lives are in the refs hands in many cases.

Comment

I was gonna include judges also some fights I don't think will ever b fair

Comment

I think influenced is a better word than intimidated.

Like Smoger was influenced by B-Hop not necessarily intimidated by him.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post

Exactly. They are not intimidated but they do understand that if they dont go along the couple big name firms in the business they might as well do something else for a living.

Comment

I just think its human nature. They know the big name fighter is who the fans came to see and will often times give them that extra time.
            I think also when a guy is a champion you let him have every opportunity to recover and get back in the fight.
            My best friends uncle was an NBA ref for many years and he tells me all the time that they don't even think about it but the crowd reaction often times dictate a close call.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post

Yeah this is a more accurate way of putting it. I agree though, there are definite times where the ref kind of acts favourably depending who he is reffing.

Kind of like how Mercante likes Cotto...

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
                I just think its human nature. They know the big name fighter is who the fans came to see and will often times give them that extra time.
                I think also when a guy is a champion you let him have every opportunity to recover and get back in the fight.
                My best friends uncle was an NBA ref for many years and he tells me all the time that they don't even think about it but the crowd reaction often times dictate a close call.
                This. Case in point the Yuri foreman fight where the ref told Yuri he didnt want him going out like that and letting Yuri continue. He let Yuri be a champ until the end.

But Id say most are influenced and some maybe intimidated or maybe not intimidated always but there's also bias.

Comment

just look at any wlad fight

Comment

of course they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X