No announcement yet.

Conor McGregor talking about Floyd on ESPN this morning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fathergll View Post
    There is no way in hell McGregor is 5'7". He has a 74" wingspan, He was 168lbs against Diaz. Floyd would have a gut at 168lbs.

Here he is next to Georges St Pierre who is shredded at 185lbs

http://halfguarded.com/wp-content/up...1/image81.jpeg

Both GSP and Connor are listed taller than what they really are. It's the same in the NBA. Guys are never truly the height that they are listed at. Connor is 5'7...DEAL WITH IT

Comment

Originally posted by vaborikua2014 View Post
      That wasnt the point. If u watched the video connor said floyd doesnt have anymore opponents that can get him 100 mill payday cause if he fights a boxer hed be getting 15 mill. If he fights ggg canelo pac danny cotto thurman porter even bronner gets him 50 mill or more. Some of these guys will make him 100 mill now he can make the same amount with connor i agree and with 0 risk because all those fighters all present a higher risk than connor in boxing but floyd probably beats all of them with the exception of ggg who might be way too big imo. All im saying is even if this fight doesnt happen floyd can still make 3 the same amount or more with some of these opponents or more while this is connors only chance of getting anything even remotely close to this.
      But it is the point. It is my point.

Even though McGregor didn't articulate his point accurately, BECAUSE HE CAN'T IN PUBLIC, saying that Floyd needs him more than he needs Floyd is an accurate statement.

If McGregor were telling the truth on camera, he would be saying it slightly differently:

Floyd needs me more than I need him. He wants to make a lot of money and I am the least riskiest opponent as I'm not a Boxer. I don't need Floyd because I know that I can't beat him in a Boxing ring, and fighting him is purely a Money Fight for me. I stand to gain nothing but Money so I want more of it.

Sidenote: If Floyd were actually open to a MMA fight against McGregor, then I think that mcGregor would be open to taking a pay cut at the chance to whoop Floyd and look good doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        if he's really getting a $50 million dollar offer for a boxing match he should take it. that is a ludicrous offer.
        Thing is, he's contracted to the UFC and they probably need to sanction any event of this nature.

If the Fertittas are willing to kill a McGregor PPV over a press tour dispute, they are willing to pass on a circus like this. As ruthless as they are, you have to admire their vision. Conor being embarrassed by Floyd might be a nice little money spinner, but it does nothing for the UFC.

Comment

UFC would never let someone like Floyd get over on them without a legit co-promotion.
          There is absolutely no way that the UFC is getting a promoters license to co-promote one fight. One fight isn't worth the trouble. I suspect you could throw them $10M-$20M & they'd be like good luck Conor lol & never have to lift a finger. They are making $250M+ a year profit in their own business & its getting better all the time. Getting another $10M-$20M for doing nothing from some sport they don't even eff with to boost up their own profit is win win for them.

This is not like letting Ronda spend 20 secs at Wrestlemania throwing a couple people. You are talking about letting your biggest star complete in a mega fight. Dana White even a week ago fight could never take place because of the money split.
          Sure its different, but its the same too. And boxing people don't understand names aren't as valuable in the UFC. Twice as many UFC guys (GSP, Silva, Evans & Lesner) have 5M+ PPV buys than boxers (Floyd & Manny) have 5M+ buys in the last decade. The UFC has sold ~20M more PPV's in the last decade. Floyd & Manny sold 3/4 of the PPV's in boxing over the last decade. Boxing is about names, UFC is about fights. The fights hold the value for the UFC & there will be another Conor or Ronda or whoever in a year or two, there always is. They cycle thru talent in a way boxing fans aren't able to grasp.

UFC doesn't **** around with copromotions. They missed out on giant fights in the past when it came to copromotions. They have no problem axing something where they don't come out on top of. There is a reason Fedor Emelianenko never fought with them. UFC is very bullheaded in these things. They had no problem pulling Conor off UFC 200 when he didn't fly out to LA for the presser.
          Agree the UFC plays hardball & are bullheaded with their business. But again this is something thats outside their realm like the WWE stuff, movie stuff UFC people are doing or DWTS & other mainstream things fair outside their area of expertise. Sure they were never gonna co-promote with M-1, Bellator or Pride, but that weakens their brand to co-promote with their direct competitors. Throwing a UFC guy into the boxing world potentially exposes MMA to a whole new audience that can bring people to UFC & broaden their brand.

Granted you do have to factor in that if Conor gets KO'd in 2 or gets 0-12'd by Floyd that could have a negative outcome with bringing people to the UFC or people who've never been exposed to the UFC opinion about the UFC, but even doe its a long shot there is still the potential crazy upside if Conor were to land a lucky punch & win or I'd say even have some sort of moral victory that could be something as simple as a Wepner "KD" over Ali type moment or a Manny 4th round flurry-like moment or other things that could enhance peoples opinions on Conor & therefore the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by -cupo- View Post
            But it is the point. It is my point.

Even though McGregor didn't articulate his point accurately, BECAUSE HE CAN'T IN PUBLIC, saying that Floyd needs him more than he needs Floyd is an accurate statement.

If McGregor were telling the truth on camera, he would be saying it slightly differently:

Floyd needs me more than I need him. He wants to make a lot of money and I am the least riskiest opponent as I'm not a Boxer. I don't need Floyd because I know that I can't beat him in a Boxing ring, and fighting him is purely a Money Fight for me. I stand to gain nothing but Money so I want more of it.

Sidenote: If Floyd were actually open to a MMA fight against McGregor, then I think that mcGregor would be open to taking a pay cut at the chance to whoop Floyd and look good doing it.

Don't you agree?

in fact, if the tables were turned and this whole thing was a proposed MMA contest, McGregor would be the one who needs Floyd.

Making 7 million dollars against a non-MMA fighter in a Cage/MMA fight, is a lot better than making 7 million dollars against Nate Diaz or any elite MMA fighter, who can choke you out and make you tap out.

he'd take it in a heatbeat. Even less money than 7 million. He would fight Floyd for a million, at the chance of a sure victory and all the exposure of whooping a undefeated, worldwide known boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchMeIDareYou View Post
              He says he's taller than Floyd but Connor is 5'7 tops while Floyd is a solid 5'8 1/2 ish.
              Both GSP and Connor are listed taller than what they really are. It's the same in the NBA. Guys are never truly the height that they are listed at. Connor is 5'7...DEAL WITH IT

Except GSP makes Manny look like a midget and Floyd doesnt.

Comment

Except GSP makes Manny look like a midget and Floyd doesnt.

Pac is only like 3 inches shorter than GSP. It's really not that much of a difference at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  There is absolutely no way that the UFC is getting a promoters license to co-promote one fight. One fight isn't worth the trouble. I suspect you could throw them $10M-$20M & they'd be like good luck Conor lol & never have to lift a finger. They are making $250M+ a year profit in their own business & its getting better all the time. Getting another $10M-$20M for doing nothing from some sport they don't even eff with to boost up their own profit is win win for them.

Well it's not really win though because if Conor did theoretically fight say early December against Floyd the UFC then loses out on Conor fighting for them in December. They can't do both at once. Conor could easily be pulling the UFC 1.5 million buys plus Gate, advertising, TV rights around the world...etc. Throwing the UFC 20 million isn't the same as a $100 million+ event that the UFC is looking at when Conor fights for them. UFC brass has historically tried to look good in the entire "boxing vs ufc" angle thats been going around forever. Thats part of the reason when James Toney fought in the UFC they matched him with the worst possible guy....a wrestler instead of making it a fun fight for the fans where Toney would have a little chance of winning.

Agree the UFC plays hardball & are bullheaded with their business. But again this is something thats outside their realm like the WWE stuff, movie stuff UFC people are doing or DWTS & other mainstream things fair outside their area of expertise. Sure they were never gonna co-promote with M-1, Bellator or Pride, but that weakens their brand to co-promote with their direct competitors. Throwing a UFC guy into the boxing world potentially exposes MMA to a whole new audience that can bring people to UFC & broaden their brand.

The UFC is usually willing to do something as long as it really doesn't make them look bad. WWE stuff wasn't negative, either was DWTS though Liddell was terrible as expected but he was retired at the time. UFC loses out on immediate gains when they don't copromote with competitors but I can't fault them as the long term play has worked out for them while their competitors have hurt. Though i'd much rather see them copromote things myself since MMA has missed out on a lot of superfights in the past.

Granted you do have to factor in that if Conor gets KO'd in 2 or gets 0-12'd by Floyd that could have a negative outcome with bringing people to the UFC or people who've never been exposed to the UFC opinion about the UFC, but even doe its a long shot there is still the potential crazy upside if Conor were to land a lucky punch & win or I'd say even have some sort of moral victory that could be something as simple as a Wepner "KD" over Ali type moment or a Manny 4th round flurry-like moment or other things that could enhance peoples opinions on Conor & therefore the UFC.
                  If Conor had some kind of decent chance it would be one thing. UFC guys are big boxing fans and they know Conor gets mauled bad. If Conor could at least look respectable it wouldn't be a bad thing but we all know Conor would look silly and the fight might be dangerous taking damage from Mayweather.

Comment

Pac is only like 3 inches shorter than GSP. It's really not that much of a difference at all.

And if you think McGregor is 5'7" standing next to GSP you are high as ****.

Comment

And if you think McGregor is 5'7" standing next to GSP you are high as ****.

GSP is listed at 5'10 which in reality he's probably 5'9. Connor looks about 2 inches shorter than GSP in the pic so what's your point? Besides, Pac is more like 5'4-5'5ish. I think you're the one who is high.

Comment

Working...
                      X