Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be remembered as the greater fighter Bernard Hopkins or Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
    Hopkins obviously. Marquez in 4 fights finally beat Pacquiao. After that his best win is who? Juan Diaz? No comparison. Marquez' legacy IS manny Pacquiao. Hopkins legacy isn't about one person, it's about his overall accomplishments.
    I agree with this. Trinidad, Tarver, Wright, DLH, etc. Hopkins has a lot of top notch wins.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
      Thats ignoring that Marquez was shut out of the picture for a long time. He finally did get vindication vs Barrera, and the 4 fights with Pacquiao alone basically are better resume wise then Hopkins entire career.

I mean he has what? Felix Trinidad? Fat Oscar? Tarver? Pavlik? Pascal?

Marquez has Pacquiao 4x, Barrera, Gainer, John, Casamayor, and Diaz
      If you have to mention Casamayor as one of Marquez' best wins then you know you done lost. I might as well say Hopkins beat Roy Jones! Casa wasn't even close to being the same fighter at that point, come off one of the worst robberies in recent memory over Santa Cruz.

Hopkins fought:
      Undefeated Glen Johnson
      Undefeated Felix Trinidad
      Undefeated Jermain Taylor (disputed)
      Undefeated Joe Calzaghe (disputed)
      Undefeated Kelly Pavlik
      Undefeated Roy Jones
      Jean Pascal at age 46
      Antonio Tarver at age 41
      Echoles, Howard Eastman, Oscar, Joppy, etc.

Like I said, no comparison. Not even close.

Comment

Hopkins, definitely.

Comment

i've always rated hopkins higher than pacquiao, and marquez's legacy is "only" about equivalent to pacquiao's.

Comment

Depends who you ask like mentioned. A lot of people will argue that this single KO from Marquez might be a bigger single fight accomplishment than anything Hopkins did... I think Hopkins will be more appreciated with time, but I don't think he'll ever get his just due. Let's be honest..when it's all said and done..say you're a young man 20 years from now looking back at boxing, learning your history...it's going to be hard to sit through videos of some of Hopkins' fights...

Marquez will be remembered for being a great fighter, but also for the shock value of his KO. The thing is..Pacquiao will be remembered for such a long time, and with Pac comes Marquez. So my answer is..in public perception, Marquez..by affiliation with Pac. You have to take a look at the cultural aspect of Marquez vs Pac too... especially with how appreciative Mexicans are of their boxing culture.

Bernard's accomplishments will age like fine wine though and for those of us who followed him, we'll know how good he was.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
              If you have to mention Casamayor as one of Marquez' best wins then you know you done lost. I might as well say Hopkins beat Roy Jones! Casa wasn't even close to being the same fighter at that point, come off one of the worst robberies in recent memory over Santa Cruz.

Hopkins fought:
              Undefeated Glen Johnson
              Undefeated Felix Trinidad
              Undefeated Jermain Taylor (disputed)
              Undefeated Joe Calzaghe (disputed)
              Undefeated Kelly Pavlik
              Undefeated Roy Jones
              Jean Pascal at age 46
              Antonio Tarver at age 41
              Echoles, Howard Eastman, Oscar, Joppy, etc.

Like I said, no comparison. Not even close.
              Good post. You can make the argument that the Diaz win was better than beating Cassamayor at the time JMM beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
                nobody gives a fuck about Bernard
                /thread.........

Comment

Originally posted by happyman View Post
                  /thread.........
                  People may not like B-Hop but there's no denying that he's an ATG and one of the greatest MW's of all time.

Comment

Hopkins will be remembered as the greater fighter.

Comment

One guy made a career of fighting welterweights at middleweight.

And when he finally fought middleweights he did it as a LHW.

Bernard lost to the two best fighters of his era in Roy and Calzaghe.

Comment

Working...
                      X