Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd never had hand problems would his career have been better or worse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking away his slappy left hook with take away his cuffing hook which he pulls on guys with, it could be a problem is he can't use that as efficiently due to proper punching technique.

Comment

I think it would have been pretty similar.

He threw more hard shots earlier in his career but he was also fighting smaller less dangerous guys so as he moved up he would have naturally fought more cautiously.

Maybe he would have stopped guys like Guerrero but I don't think he paid have fought the likes of pac, Canelo and maidana any more aggressively.

His hands would have been a big factor in his constant ducking of Amir Khan though.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
        look at the twelth round in the floyd vs oscar fight he tried to go toe to toe with oscar and got caught, he would probably be knocked out if he let his hands go more and took chances.
        Lol. He took on Oscar among others. Was Oscar taking a chance or was Floyd. That 12th round alone changed boxing and put Floyd in the new era for the simple fact that it was Floyd's defining moment in boxing to say fack it I'm gonna go at it with you too. That memory alone will always haunt Lampley and Merchant forever for what he did to the Golden Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rath View Post
          he seem to not have a hand problem when knocked hatton out.

1. Hatton walked right into that and Floyd was setting that up all night
          2. You gotta admit that was a beautiful left hook.
          3. Was hatton known for his chin?
          4. Ortiz was KO'ed( granted with his hands down SMH on both guys) so under the right circumstances he can do it.

Comment

It's a fair question but Mayweather had an understanding that he needed to adapt into a more defensive style with moving up in weight and age, so no it really hindered him.

Comment

I think it has to be taken into consideration the fact that he moved up in weight a lot and was constantl 10-15lbs at a disadvantage. Meaning guys at 147 and 154 could also take his punches better than Super Featherweights and Lightweights and JWW's. But yeah Corrales and Gatti were the bigger men and he destroyed them. Corrales was 147lbs while Floyd was just a few pounds over 130. I think that his KO's disappearing at 147+ was from the natural larger size of fighters, and his small size, and his hand injuries as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentblue View Post
                1. Hatton walked right into that and Floyd was setting that up all night
                2. You gotta admit that was a beautiful left hook.
                3. Was hatton known for his chin?
                4. Ortiz was KO'ed( granted with his hands down SMH on both guys) so under the right circumstances he can do it.
                Problem was, only Hatton and Ortiz were the right circumstances.

points to the fact the hands problem was not really the problem but the circumstances right?

and those circumstances should be that all Floyd's opponents should either be walking thru his left hook or be sucker punched to nullify hands problem.
                Last edited by Rath; 12-19-2015, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X