No announcement yet.

I just watched 6+ hours of boxing from tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just watched 6+ hours of boxing from tonight

Anyone else watch every second of the two cards? At the five hour point, Ouma-Phillips got a bit boring, but overall I had a good time. More thoughts after I get some sleep.

TRINIDAD-MAYORGA - Terrible undercards; Martell should go home to his reservation with a paper bag over his head; Trinidad far exceeded my expectations and fought off ring rust; Mayorga gained fans tonight - he's not a bum, he's a guy who fights a certain way and that way is certainly going to set up some losses on some nights - he's a new Micky Ward - I'll buy his next fight - he needs to go to 147 - Trinidad will beat DLH; Hopkins I think still wins vs. Tito.

JEFF LACY - SYD VANDERPOOL - Fight of the year. Better than Marquez-Pacquaio, Trinidad-Mayorga, and Corrales-Freitas. Watch the replay. Great stuff. Lacy became a man after Round 2. Great back and forth action. Tremendous fight. Worth a repeat viewing.

KASSIM OUMA - VERNO PHILLIPS - Joe Cortez was refereeing a very boring fight til round 11. Then apparently he decided that he didn't care if Verno Phillips got hurt or not. No standing 8 rule, but plenty of opportunity to call knockdowns when Phillips is more or less sitting on the middle rope being pummeled, being shot across the ring like out of a cannon - CLEARLY not going down solely on the fact that the ropes were in his way. The beating lasted 2 rounds - the corner sent Verno out in the 12th, knowing it was a close fight but not worrying about Phillips's health. Twice he went down and they were ruled slips - yeah, they were slips - the dude fell down because he had no legs and couldn't stand up by himself - he spent the last round leaning on Ouma, getting knocked around and leaning again. Not a lot of fighting back and plenty of dead spells where he took a one-sided beating and a TKO should have been called.

W KLITSCHKO - WILLIAMSON - Klitshcko 0 knockdowns. Williamson 1 knockdown. Williamson's run and tap and hope Wlad tires would have worked had it not been for the headbutt. Emmanuel Steward is doing him no favors by saying he fought a good fight. He was winded, bloody, and unconvincing in a SPlit Technical Decision over a guy Mesi beat in 90 sec.
    Last edited by neils7147933; 10-03-2004, 04:34 AM.
Working...
X