No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Chad Dawson: The Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Chad Dawson: The Pre-Fight Report Card

by Cliff Rold - They are two of the sport’s rare, real world champions. Both are in their prime. Both are considered among the very best in the world regardless of weight class.

On Saturday night at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California, they each present the other with the toughest test of their professional careers on paper. Each has taken their own unique route to get here.

Andre Ward is the last American, the only American this century, to win a Gold Medal at the Olympics. In 2003, for the good of the team, Ward leapt all the way to the amateur 178 lb. Light Heavyweight division, winning the national tournament and setting the stage for a successful run in Athens. He bested two-time World Champion Evgeny Makarenko in the round of 16 and cruised from there. [Click Here To Read More]

Ward's got this!

Comment

I haven't posted in this forum lately, but I will point out that when the polls were asking who is the future of boxing? and a large majority were saying things like Khan and Bradley etc., I know I flatly said Ward is the future of boxing.

I don't even remember Ward being a choice in the poll. Ward either makes Dawson quit late, or wins an easy UD. I don't think this will be as one-sided as the Froch fight, but I do expect to immediately notice a HUGE talent gap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganondorf View Post
        I haven't posted in this forum lately, but I will point out that when the polls were asking who is the future of boxing? and a large majority were saying things like Khan and Bradley etc., I know I flatly said Ward is the future of boxing.

I don't even remember Ward being a choice in the poll. Ward either makes Dawson quit late, or wins an easy UD. I don't think this will be as one-sided as the Froch fight, but I do expect to immediately notice a HUGE talent gap.
        I forgot to mention that I'm willing to put up or shut up. Not rich but confident.

Comment

Won't be nothing narrow about this. Ward is going to shut Dawson out.

Comment

Dawson just lacks the hunger it takes to make him greater than he is. He has all the tools but mentally the urgency never sets in. On top of that, all he ever fought mostly were older fighters to the point where a guy like Jean Pascal beat him. Ward is in another class and league. He has all the tools to be one of the greats. Dawson is not ring savvy or technically smart enough to trouble or beat Ward.

Comment

It will be a wipeout. He will make Dawson look amateurish and dumb.

This is not the biggest test of Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
                Dawson just lacks the hunger it takes to make him greater than he is. He has all the tools but mentally the urgency never sets in. On top of that, all he ever fought mostly were older fighters to the point where a guy like Jean Pascal beat him. Ward is in another class and league. He has all the tools to be one of the greats. Dawson is not ring savvy or technically smart enough to trouble or beat Ward.
                You nailed the reasons why Dawson is going to get embarrassed tonight. You only failed to mention the effect coming in at 168, for the first time in over 6 years, is likely to have on him. I know he looks like he made the weight fine, but I can't imagine that we won't see the impact somewhere inside the ring. But your point about Dawson being used to fighting old men is key, and is the reason why I picked Pascal to beat him when they fought.

Comment

what time does this start (CA time?)

Comment

This fight will be closer than the posters in this thread think. I lean towards Ward but wouldn't be suprised whatsoever if Chad pulls out the victory.

Comment

Working...
                    X