Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howcome MMA fighters dont make as much as boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dice View Post
    Kessler looked real good man this super tourny is one of the few things keeping me interested in boxing
    well, there's more keeping me interestedin it, but i can definitely see where your coming from...

ya know what bothers me about boxing too though? Patented records...it's like can, can, can, can, can, can, can, can, top tier fighter, can, top tier fighter...

Comment

Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
      well, there's more keeping me interestedin it, but i can definitely see where your coming from...

ya know what bothers me about boxing too though? Patented records...it's like can, can, can, can, can, can, can, can, top tier fighter, can, top tier fighter...
      I'm a boxing fan first, but i gotta admit MMA is really just catching up and the prop is a few things, one is all these championships, they have interim champions when the actual champion is healthy and active, then the super champs and the diamond belts its so rediculous.

Second, there hasnt been a boxing card loaded from Top to Bottom since Don King ran boxing, as much of a snake he is no one can put a full card like Don could.

And third, if MMA its true when they say you have the best fighting the best, in boxing its always some issue so promoter garbage and it really had me tired. I'll always love boxing and im watching Marquez Mayweather over UFC 103 cuz my boxing love will never die but i cant deny boxing has lost a lil luster although there are some solid fights coming up like that Mosley Clottey

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
        I'm a boxing fan first, but i gotta admit MMA is really just catching up and the prop is a few things, one is all these championships, they have interim champions when the actual champion is healthy and active, then the super champs and the diamond belts its so rediculous.

Second, there hasnt been a boxing card loaded from Top to Bottom since Don King ran boxing, as much of a snake he is no one can put a full card like Don could.

And third, if MMA its true when they say you have the best fighting the best, in boxing its always some issue so promoter garbage and it really had me tired. I'll always love boxing and im watching Marquez Mayweather over UFC 103 cuz my boxing love will never die but i cant deny boxing has lost a lil luster although there are some solid fights coming up like that Mosley Clottey
        wow...mosley vs. clottey?...****, that'll be one tight ass fight

Comment

^ I think mainly because EVERYONE I mean EVERYONE is trying to get into it. At my school about 40 % of the guys think they are pro MMA fighters since they train everyday until you give them a good .

Comment

Originally posted by idamaster View Post
            ^ I think mainly because EVERYONE I mean EVERYONE is trying to get into it. At my school about 40 % of the guys think they are pro MMA fighters since they train everyday until you give them a good .

That is a huge problem actually and something that annoys me with the boxing/mma rivalry, training in MMA is TOUGH, its not an easy task and you have to be top notch to handle training to fight for a small event. For the UFC? Forget it its like training for the super bowl

Comment

Originally posted by idamaster View Post
              that's why i love the gym i train at. Live environment and 80% of the time we're hitting each other so you either suck it up and stay or go. hahaha

Comment

It really is a myth that boxers get paid so much more than MMA fighters. Alot of the cream of the crop boxers run their own production companies (Floyd's " Mayweather Productions " , Antonio's " Tarver Entertainment ", Oscar's "GBP" ...) and so the production companies get a massive amount of the money cause they do alot of the legwork for the fights. The midlevel to low level fighters really are paid the same or as bad as MMA fighters do. Here is a good example,

Here are the official fighter salaries from last Saturday night’s March Badness boxing and MMA event in Pensacola, FL.

MMA Fighters
                Bobby Lashley – $40,000
                Roy Neslon – $30,000
                Jeff Monson – $25,000
                Jason Guida – $15,000
                Din Thomas – $10,000
                Dennis Hallman – $6,000
                Gabe Lemley – $5,500
                Danny Ruiz – $2,000
                James Freeman – $500
                John Mowry – $300
                Boxing Fighters
                Roy Jones Jr. – TBD (Two-thirds net event profits)
                Omar Sheik – $50,000
                BJ Flores – $12,500
                Jose Luis Herrera – $12,500
                Robert DaLuz – $1,800
                Kelvin Price – $1,500
                Kevin Howard – $1,500
                Kieyon Bussey – $1,200
                Eric Clinton – $800
                Richmond Dalphone – $800

Other than Roy, the fight purses weren't all that hot. Big names make a killing, but lower level guys that aren't fighting title fights aren't getting Mayweather money. Here is an interesting article by a trainer on how boxer's salaries go.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Boxing-1533/report.htm

Comment

^ Great post. People on this website tend to believe that these 8 figure paydays are the norm for boxers, when that couldn't be further from the truth. Only about 1% of professional boxers are making that kind of money, and the rest are getting comparable salaries to MMA fighters.

The UFC's pay scale can be misleading, because the fighters get win bonuses, as well as other incentives based on performance. This is extra motivation for the fighters to not just go out and do enough, but to go above and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                  X