No announcement yet.

right hand lead punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right hand lead punch?

Hey guys, i was wondering if there is any formal tech. when throwing this punch. currently it fells like i am just flailing around. Thanks.

Well you have to be unpredictable more than anything. Realize that just because it's your main hand (if right handed of course) it's probably not being thrown with everything. Keep your left close, make sure to move your head and dont forget its not a sin to slip and move your feet. Be swift and keep it tight. Use your feints, establish a jab, etc. that's the basics. Just a matter of how competent you and your opponent/sparring partners are. Don't know what kind of relationship you have at the gym, but ask around, use it in sparring ask what's giving it away with your coach/trainer or partners if youre cool like that. Of course if youre very observant of your body and movements you can find a what point of your delivery it's being tracked and tweak from there like you do any other punch. Do NOT over extend or stick your head too far out. It comes with time, don't worry. Its okay to make mistakes.

No line breaks...dont know if theres typos this is on my phone so...sorrryy

Comment

Depends on your stance mostly. If you have your right hand semi ****ed, then release it like a whip half way, you have a better chance of surprising your opponent.

If you have your right hand right near your chin, like a normal boxing stance, won't be as fast, and sudden.

Most counter punchers have their hands away from their body like an Ali, Roy Jones. It's much easier to counter that way, and your punch comes off quicker.

If you stand in a defensive stance, your punches are more predictable.

Comment

It's also about your foot movement, and rhythm. If you bounce up and down while your fighting, time the punch to off set the rhythm of your feet movement.

It's all about the suddenness. Throw it, even when your brain tells you not to throw it. You can't hesitate.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            Oops. I was under the impression that he wanted to learn how to throw a "Mayweather" type, counter right.

Totally misinterpreted OP.

Yeah, pivot your feet, and twist from the hips. Try to generate power from the ground to the end of your punch. Rotate your fists at the last second, and bring the punch back to your chin ASAP. Otherwise you'll leave it out there to be countered with a jab.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
              Oops. I was under the impression that he wanted to learn how to throw a "Mayweather" type, counter right.

Totally misinterpreted OP.

Yeah, pivot your feet, and twist from the hips. Try to generate power from the ground to the end of your punch. Rotate your fists at the last second, and bring the punch back to your chin ASAP. Otherwise you'll leave it out there to be countered with a jab.
              I think that's exactly what OP was asking for .. Lead right hand, no set up with the jab.

Comment

Working...
              X