Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the punch resistance scale with weight? Would MW be able to KO HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You see it in the heavyweight division all the time. A 210 lbs fighter KOing a 240 lbs fighter. Tyson did it all the time.

Timing has a lot to do with it. A middleweight can catch a HW and hurt him, yes. Roy Jones jr. stunned John Ruiz when they fought. A straight one punch KO would be unlikely but say if a great combo landed with several hard blows consecutively landed then yes.

Comment

Do you think a decent HW puncher could knock out Margarito or Hagler in a fight? And I'm not referring to a perfectly clean shot, but a decent power shot?
      Those are two of the lower weight guys with some of the greater chins.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        the larger the fighters, the more likely they are to hurt each other.

if MW were able to KO HW in boxing matches, they would.

a man standing to recieve damage is not realistic. if vitali, a great chinned HW, closed his eyes and let golovkin hit him with the right hand, he'd go out.

if wilder hit vitali when his eyes were closed he might break his neck or kill him. tuscaloosa alabama in the house.
        I agree with the bolded.

Regarding punch resistance in general, although a perfect shot from GGG is likely to K.O. pretty much anybody, punch resistance at higher weight classes depends on the shot.

A far from perfect, half blocked right hand from a MW would probably have little effect on a HW. While the same power shot from a HW is likely to knock down or at least stun the average MW .

Comment

Originally posted by PorterIsFuture View Post
          Do you think a decent HW puncher could knock out Margarito or Hagler in a fight? And I'm not referring to a perfectly clean shot, but a decent power shot?
          Those are two of the lower weight guys with some of the greater chins.
          I think so. A decent HW puncher could hurt a MW on a glancing blow. This is the reason there are weight classes in boxing. The heavier guy has a power advantage most of the time.

Comment

i once sparred a lightweight who hit harder than the average MW, im a WW myself and i hurt HWs in the gym on a few occasions. rocked one bad enough for the sparring to be stopped.

bigger guys do have better punch resistance, but not by all that much. the difference in power is significantly bigger. smaller guys with serious pop can definitely hurt much bigger guys, the real issue is the smaller man can get hurt himself rather easily.

Comment

Working...
            X