Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward is the greatest Super Middleweight ever!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me take a **** on your thread.

Comment

If Ward goes through Bute and the Dirrell brothers at 168, he is hands-down without a doubt the greatest super middleweight of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        That's the story of Joe Calzaghe's career.

He would've dominated him and he would've dominated him.

Yeah, he would have dominated Froch. 12-0 probably. Difference is Ward did it.

Ward at 27 and 2 years of fighting Top opposition has argubaly a better resume than Calzaghe at 168.

That speaks volumes.
        I have to agree with this, people diss wards style and all but hes taking no prisoners truth be told, i see no reason why he doesnt get it on with Bute, win or lose, i seriously give more credence to Wards resume than Calzhage, and its not because its so recent or ward and i reside in the same city, its just the super six alone put him over calzhage, fighting guys in their prime without issue. Green, Kessler, Miranda, Froch and Abraham as well.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          That's the story of Joe Calzaghe's career.

He would've dominated him and he would've dominated him.

Yeah, he would have dominated Froch. 12-0 probably. Difference is Ward did it.

Ward at 27 and 2 years of fighting Top opposition has argubaly a better resume than Calzaghe at 168.

Yeah but Calzaghe is also from Newbridge Wales and stood and trained all his life in Newbridge Wales. Ward lives and trains in America where the biggest fights are made and the best trainers work. Calzaghe was trained by a man (his loving dad) who never stood in the ring himself. Enzo Calzaghe is without a doubt a great father, but I could probably be a better trainer than him, since I've been boxing as an amateur for two years. I am more boxing-wise than Enzo Calzaghe

Imagine what Calzaghe could have done if based in USA instead of Newbridge Wales. With his enormous amount of talent he could've been a Hall Of Famer.

Anyway, I doubt that Ward could have beaten Joe Calzaghe at his peak.

I'll give you this: Ward has the chance to become the most successful supermiddleweight of all time, even tho he's really ugly to watch.
          Last edited by Nick Name; 12-22-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Name View Post
            Yeah but Calzaghe is also from Newbridge Wales and stood and trained all his life in Newbridge Wales. Ward lives and trains in America where the biggest fights are made and the best trainers work. Calzaghe was trained by a man (his loving dad) who never stood in the ring himself. Enzo Calzaghe is without a doubt a great father, but I could probably be a better trainer than him, since I've been boxing as an amateur for two years. I am more boxing-wise than Enzo Calzaghe

Imagine what Calzaghe could have done if based in USA instead of Newbridge Wales. With his enormous amount of talent he could've been a Hall Of Famer.
            I imagine it would have been fantastic.

The problem is, he get's nothing for imaginary things.

The majority of reasoning for Calzaghe's 'Greatness' is based off pure imagination.

Originally posted by Nick Name View Post
            Anyway, I doubt that Ward could have beaten Joe Calzaghe at his peak.

I'll give you this: Ward has the chance to become the most successful supermiddleweight of all time, even tho he's really ugly to watch.
            I'd probably lean on Calzaghe aswell at this point.

Again, means very little.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              I don't think he is tougher, but he does have more one punch power. Bute's uppercut is a game changer.
              ...and one of Ward's most flawed defensive manoeuvres is sliding inside with his head down, ala Hopkins, but he doesn't do it as well as Hopkins yet and has been caught doing it and dropped badly.

For some reason though, I don't think Bute will be able to catch him the way the other guy did. Still a fascinating fight, but will it ever be made? IN today's crappy boxing world, I wonder.

Comment

Considering how shallow and relatively young this division has been in years past it's not that huge of a deal.

However.... if we are to consider all the different guys that could've competed at super middleweight in history i'd have to say that this is an incredibly premature claim. The claim of how great he is is already a notion that is INCREDIBLY premature. It's knee jerk reaction bull****. It's indicative of the state of the sport how quick we are to grasp at any genuine top notch talent we see.

He is an incredibly talented fighter with real skill and various other qualities. He is promising. He has beaten top notch competition. He is one of the best p4p fighters in the world. However let's not get ahead of ourselves.

People already do this with Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio. They are great talents dominating in a relatively bleak boxing landscape. Because boxing has been dissapointing in recent years we grasp at and put any talent we see on a pedastool. It clouds objectivity

Someone mentioned roy jones. Roy jones would be an absolute stylistic nightmare for someone like ward. He doesn't engage guys in firefights. He is cagey, fights at his range, and is able to work with a much larger margin of error due to his speed and agility. Guys like hopkins and ward are technical fighters. They look for openings to exploit. The problem is against a guy like Roy Jones those openings never really come, he uses his speed, movement, and physical gifts to control the range and use unconventional means to be incredibly effective. Where textbook guys like ward and hopkins can usually exploit an opening, the opening is a mere illusion against the likes of a prime roy jones. They can't get the timing, distance, and rhythm worked out because someone likes jones effectively operates outside of the parameters of what is considered normal.
                Last edited by Heckler; 12-22-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jermainerambo View Post
                  jeff lacy was the ibf and ibo champion

joe calzaghe had all the belts and beat Bernard Hopkins
                  How about we forget about belts because they simply don't hold the value they use to and given the state of boxing and the depth in the divisions aren't necessarily indicative of 'greatness'.

I must also add that a somewhat controversial victory over Bernard Hopkins where one could say aggression, and not necessarily effective aggression, was favoured over clean and effective punching. His performance was far from awe inspiring. Lots of forward movement, show boating, and pitty pat glancing blows.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckler View Post
                    How about we forget about belts because they simply don't hold the value they use to and given the state of boxing and the depth in the divisions aren't necessarily indicative of 'greatness'.

I must also add that a somewhat controversial victory over Bernard Hopkins where one could say aggression, and not necessarily effective aggression, was favoured over clean and effective punching. His performance was far from awe inspiring. Lots of forward movement, show boating, and pitty pat glancing blows.
                    bernard hopkins was not landing sh_t calzaghe had him running around the ring

after the fight bernard hopkins was talking about how his is the ultimate survivor that all he come to do was survive

Comment

Originally posted by jermainerambo View Post
                      bernard hopkins was not landing sh_t calzaghe had him running around the ring

after the fight bernard hopkins was talking about how his is the ultimate survivor that all he come to do was survive
                      LOL you are living in a parallel fantasy world buddy. Hopkins was scoring with his lead right hand all night. He was landing on the inside with short hooks. He was landing throughout the fight. Turn the sound down, eliminate the crowds roar anytime calzaghe let loose a flurry of absolutely nothing which rarely landed in any form other than a glancing blow. Calzaghe had him 'running'. Running from what? Bernard was being cagey.... but there was hardly anything dangerous coming his way other than flurries that were deceptively ineffective and gave the illusion that he was being outhustled.

Comment

Working...
                      X