No announcement yet.

Mike Weaver vs. Gerrie Coetzee

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Weaver vs. Gerrie Coetzee

Boxing once again crosses paths with international history.

Random Classics - Mike Weaver vs. Gerrie Coetzee (click)

Thanks everyone. Feedback is always appreciated.

Last edited by Integrital; 06-20-2012, 08:00 PM. Reason: Forgot link

Good read! (If you've got the time, of course)

Comment

Thanks, Gandalf.

Not much of what I write in terms of history stuff is brief, and you could definitely accuse me of being too detail-oriented or afraid of leaving some information out, but hopefully it adds to the experience of learning about it.

But again, thanks for reading.

Comment

The more detail the better, in my opinion. Even though I scarcely know the two fighters involved

Comment

Nice. I remember having alot of interest in Coetzee and what was called his bionic right hand. Ring mag did an article on this back in 1979, I even remember the cover of the magazine happened to have Ali on it's cover.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It wasn't that long after, Coetzee met Tate on an ice rink(extremely slippery ring) and lost a decision. Then Weaver in amazing fashion, shocked Tate, who at the time was considered to be the next heir-apparent to the crown.
          I learned to respect both Weaver and Coetzee and to me their battle was brutal. Coetzee unloaded everything but the kinchen sink on Weaver and Weaver wasn't going anywhere. Great fight!

Thanks for bringing back the memory!
          (and yes after all these years I still have that copy of the Ring)

Comment

Too bad there aren't any heavy weights like that today.

Comment

1st saw them!

When I 1st saw these to I expected more from them, especially Weaver, he impressed me with his Boxing ability and had some power, and he looked like Fighter, Coetzee had awesome power, not a lot of defense and was slower and plodding, but he still looked very good, but both did not live up to that promise of the 1st couple times I saw them, but either could have had that punchers chance to beat a lot of guys in the past, i would love to have seen both fight Langford to see as a guide where he belonged on the HW division.

Comment

Working...
              X