No announcement yet.

More impressive 3rd round stoppage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShamrockXpress View Post
    Can I add kovalevs 3rd round stoppage of campillo to the list? The machine and GGG were equally impressive in my eyes, both stopping durable veterans of their division, both of whom had fought everyone in their respective divisions giving good accounts of themselves. Kovalev destroyed a fighter who many thought of as the man in the division, beatable only by robbery.
    Campillo is a better win than Macklin and even Peterson. But he wasn't meant to be unbeatable, he does have a KO loss to an average guy. He'll school plodders, but he's also a slow starter, maybe a bit chinny, bad matchup. AFAIK Kovalev was the bookies favorite.

Comment

GGG is superior to Matt though I like both guys

Comment

Seriously people. If you dont care to know at least some basics about boxing why even bother to come and post in a boxing forum?

Lamont Peterson: Current IBF world champ. Elite fighter that has never been KO. Had won his last three fights, against names such as Khan and Kendall Holt.
        80% of commentators said Peterson would be too much for Matthysse.
        I'll give you that he looked a bit worried about going against Matthysse but hell, so does Garcia and everyone else fighting him these days. That being said, Peterson started round 1 like a pro only backing when he felt those power shots. Matthysse had him down in round 2 and finished him in round 3. Sure, he got up and Smoger stopped it. But hadnt it been for Smoger Petersons courage may had caused the fight to end in tragedy.

Matthew Macklin: Nobody. Never won a world title. Has gone down more times than Britney Spears. Lost 3 of his last 4 fights. The one he won was against a tomato can from Canada to put a victory in his record after 2 losses.
        Everybody and his uncle knew GGG would destroy this guy. He was scared from the go, hardly throwing a dozen real punches in round 1, and sticking to running away. Had he fougth a tough world champ and beaten him in the same manner then, yes, it would be comparable. If you're going to compare, Macklin is more along the lines of Dallas Jr. than IBF current champion Lamont Peterson.

I'm not taking anything from GGG, he's in my opinon the best in his weight class and you know what, I give him 65-35 chance of winning against Floyd. Yes, Money will duck GGG like you've never seen. He's a skilled, dangerous boxer that can end anyones carrer.
        I hope he fights Martinez so that the title stays in the hands of a real champ.

Comment

Well, in terms of style, it was GGG and his body shot. However, Peterson is way better than Macklin, so that is clearly, without any doubt, the better stoppage win. It just wasn't as amazing in terms of reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by FerFAL View Post
            Seriously people. If you dont care to know at least some basics about boxing why even bother to come and post in a boxing forum?

Lamont Peterson: Current IBF world champ. Elite fighter that has never been KO. Had won his last three fights, against names such as Khan and Kendall Holt.
            I'll give you that he looked a bit worried about going against Matthysse but hell, so does Garcia and everyone else fighting him these days. That being said, Peterson started round 1 like a pro only backing when he felt those power shots. Matthysse had him down in round 2 and finished him in round 3. Sure, he got up and Smoger stopped it. But hadnt it been for Smoger Petersons courage may had caused the fight to end in tragedy.

Matthew Macklin: Nobody. Never won a world title. Has gone down more times than Britney Spears. Lost 3 of his last 4 fights. The one he won was against a tomato can from Canada to put a victory in his record after 2 losses.
            Everybody and his uncle knew GGG would destroy this guy. He was scared from the go, hardly throwing a dozen real punches in round 1, and sticking to running away. Had he fougth a tough world champ and beaten him in the same manner then, yes, it would be comparable. If you're going to compare, Macklin is more along the lines of Dallas Jr. than IBF current champion Lamont Peterson.

I'm not taking anything from GGG, he's in my opinon the best in his weight class and you know what, I give him 65-35 chance of winning against Floyd. Yes, Money will duck GGG like you've never seen. He's a skilled, dangerous boxer that can end anyones carrer.
            Peterson's title win over Khan was super controversial, as was Macklin's title loss to Strum. So your exhibit A is not really strong. But agree Peterson is way better than Macklin.

Comment

Both guys are getting ducked,but GGG more so,i have yet to see him be outboxed even for a round

Comment

Originally posted by FerFAL View Post

PEDerson

Beat an old Holt, lost to Khan, beat Cayo

Macklin

Beat Alcine, took PFP Martinez 11 rounds, arguably beat Sturm.

Forget the titles PEDerson was gifted his anyway, PEDerson and Macklin are the same level. Only difference is US boxing media hyped up PEDerson while everyone remained realistic about Macklin.

I like both fighters but the public were misled over Peterson-Matthysse and the notion it would be competitive as well as the notion that Peterson was a deserving world champion. How he still has the belt is beyond me.
                Last edited by Weebler I; 06-30-2013, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
                  Both guys are getting ducked,but GGG more so,i have yet to see him be outboxed even for a round
                  This ducking bs has to stop. It ruins the sport. Only in boxing can someone duck the better fighter and still not only claim to be the best, but retain a world champ belt while doing so.
                  Murray would have been a better fight I believe. It would have lasted longer for sure.
                  I would have LOVED to see GGG vs Martinez back when Martinez was still in his prime. Oh well, lets hope he fights Floyd eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                    PEDerson

Beat an old Holt, lost to Khan, beat Cayo

Macklin

Beat Alcine, took PFP Martinez 11 rounds, arguably beat Sturm.

Forget the titles PEDerson was gifted his anyway, PEDerson and Macklin are the same level. Only difference is US boxing media hyped up PEDerson while everyone remained realistic about Macklin.

I like both fighters but the public were misled over Peterson-Matthysse and the notion it would be competitive as well as the notion that Peterson was a deserving world champion. How he still has the belt is beyond me.
                    Well, its boxing. You can get KO by a guy of your same weight division and still keep the belt...
                    About Macklin-Peterson, how can they be at the same level when Macklin never managed to win a world title and has been KO before. He fought and old, crippled Maravilla Martinez last year and still couldnt win. Martinez is done. Dont get me wrong he used to be fantastic just a few years ago but now you can see he has limited movement and that hand of his is ruined.

Comment

Golovkin's. Total, complete control at all moments.

Comment

Working...
                      X