Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most skilled fighter you've ever seen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably Floyd Mayweather if im honest....

Comment

<--The fellow in my avatar tops a list I will not post, as I agree with most afore-mentioned fighters. I also will not elaborate on the well-documented (defensive/offensive) skills of Roberto Duran, except to say that he had the uncanny ability to simultaneously slip punches while delivering them. On defensive skills alone, no one tops Permell Whitaker.

Comment

If I go back to fighters who I've seen on film my analysis will get pretty boring so I'll stick to fighters that I've seen in my own life time.

Three names stick out, especially when they were in their primes:

Lennox Lewis
        Bernard Hopkins
        Roy Jones Jr

Without trying to wade too much into the whole RJJ skill v talent discussion/argument, what I will say is Jones' talent level was so high compared to his contemporaries he rarely relied on his skills, but when he did he was terrific. His counter punching was second to none, he could slip punches as well as an Ali and his footwork was pristine.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
          Jones was very skilled with great timing beautiful counters he was everything you want from a fighter. He had a good chin in his prime.

He didn't lose his skills he knew what to do but couldn't get in position to do it his legs were gone and after being knocked out he was scared to try anything else so opted to lay on the ropes and try to fight even tho he got knocked out again it's all he could really do I mean think of it like this if he went to stand in the middle of the ring and walking oppents down with shots if he got caught with as bad as his punch resistance is now he'd go to sleep even more.
          He had some great assets but his overall skill wasn't nearly as good as his overall physical gifts. He didn't lose skills that he never had. Sorry, but it's that simple with that man. Everything else is an excuse.

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Well Jones was pretty sensational for well over a decade. His reflexes and chin had to go sometime. He is as skilled as I've seen a boxer.......but there are so many others too; Robinson, Pep, Charles, Ali, Leonard....
          He was the best at using his limited knowledge with his physical abilities. I will agree to that. He lacked a lot of what the other guys you mention had. I think Jones looks better in a lot of fighters because guys were scared to be in the ring with him. I will always admit though that him beating James Toney will forever blow my mind. It never, ever made sense to me.

Comment

Working...
          X