Compulsary religious education in schools

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's my take....

first of all, schooling should be privatized... BIGTIME

secondly, locals can then decide and choose which schools to send their children to based on their own religious preferences... be it no religion, some religion, islam, christianity etc

its that simple... govt can faaaaak off

Comment

Originally posted by -veteran420- View Post
      here's my take....

first of all, schooling should be privatized... BIGTIME
      So education is closed to those without the wherewithal to purchase it for their children? I already know the answer. You would prefer to close a doorway out of poverty because you're of the position that poverty is a vice.

secondly, locals can then decide and choose which schools to send their children to based on their own religious preferences... be it no religion, some religion, islam, christianity etc
      Then America can fall even further behind the rest of the world in fields like science and literacy. WIN!

Comment

Private school educations was far more superior than teh education in public schools in my city.

Great investment.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          My position on this might surprise some people:

I am in favour of compulsory religious education in schools. Religion is still a major part of the lives of many people around the world, it is a factor, sometimes a driving force in worldwide conflicts and movements. It continues to exert an influence over politics, war and the personal lives of many people and in an increasingly secular education system I think it's important to provide kids with some insight into the things that other people believe.

Naturally I'm not in favour of schools promoting one religion to the detriment of the others. But a balanced and dispassionate examination of each faith, the basic beliefs and some of the mythos would I think help kids to reach out to others from other cultural and religious backgrounds by removing some of the mystery from their beliefs.

My idea for the syllabus would include christianity, islam, judaism and hinduism along with the major types of buddhism as well as secular philosophies like confucianism and secular humanism. There would also be an exploration of other superstitions including animism as well as more new age beliefs.

My personal hope would be that by exposing students to a range of different faiths it would illustrate that all faiths are supernatural and that no religion is more "right" than another. I would also hope that by open discussion and study students would feel less constrained by the taboo on questioning religious doctrine and would have less respect for this notion that faith cannot be examined for fear of offending someone.

Naturally I will be accused of hostility to religion now, but everyone has a cross to bear. Haha.

I can't remember if it counted as a History or a Philosophy class but I took a course in World/Historical religions in college. We used to have to compare the myths like the creation myth.
          We started with the Epic of Gilgamesh.
          Cool class.

I'll tell you one thing: During a discussing of Public School vs. Catholic School...Growing up I had many friends that went to Catholic school, different ones as well, while I went to Public...and that is where I first learned that Jews killed Jesus and they are the devil. Don't trust the Jew.
          I laughed my ass off at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
            I can't remember if it counted as a History or a Philosophy class but I took a course in World/Historical religions in college. We used to have to compare the myths like the creation myth.
            We started with the Epic of Gilgamesh.
            Cool class.

I'll tell you one thing: During a discussing of Public School vs. Catholic School...Growing up I had many friends that went to Catholic school, different ones as well, while I went to Public...and that is where I first learned that Jews killed Jesus and they are the devil. Don't trust the Jew.
            I laughed my ass off at that.
            It's funny because it's true. Those frightening jews!

Private school educations was far more superior than teh education in public schools in my city.

Great investment.
            Right now private schools have to be superior than public schools to attract funding (apart from religious schools which attract funding by appealing to the irrationality of the parents of its attendees). But if the only schools available are private then you will have some schools that sell on price and not standards, and you'll have large sections of the population who cannot attend schools at all as they cannot afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
              I mean.. really? You want your schools to teach a witch religion? **** it, lets hit the the kids up with some Satanism while we're at it. your assignment is to put yourself infront of everything else and have big orgies.. see you monday.
              Wicca is nothing like what you're imagining it to be, son.

It only became demonized as a "witch Religion" after the start of the 2nd thousand years of Christianity.

Back in the first 1,000 years, it wasn't uncommon for Catholic priests to pull "double duty" and also serve as Wiccan Priests.

There's none of that voodoo type **** in it that you see depicted in movies. It's a very basic Religion that has a strong emphasis on the healing properties of herbs and other such natural resources.

And it's widely practiced. Much more widely than Satanism, anyway. Hence the reason I included it in my list.

Comment

I went to an extremely excellent public school.

Comment

Incidentally this topic is rated one star with one vote. The conclusion: Tunney is a complete twat!

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                    Incidentally this topic is rated one star with one vote. The conclusion: Tunney is a complete twat!
                    It's rated 3, now.

Comment

Thanks babes...

:wank:

Comment

Working...
                      X