Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong Catchweight Conspiracy Exposed!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Sam fought Jack Blackburn for the Welterweight title at a catch weight of 142, all the reason Heavies are king ?, I'd say Langford's best weight was MW.
    It was Walcott, not Blackburn, and when they fought the division limit wasn't firm at 147. It wasn't universally absolute 147 until closer to the teens/1920. They fought in 1904 and often the limits then were between 142-54.

Might want to check into that sort of thing before comparing today to 100-plus years back.

Comment

Blackburn's doing, it was made so that even if Langford beat Blackburn, he would still be seen the legitimate title holder and Langford wouldn't, it was still ruled as a title fight though.
      Please, Throw me a source to read. Interesting read.

That sucks

Did Langford ever use it or was he just the guy that got continually screwed?

Comment

Originally posted by Flomo Tard View Post
        When Henry Armstrong won the welterweight world title from Barney Ross, they both fought at a catchweight of 140 lbs.

And as mentioned earlier, Sugar Ray Leonard fought for and defended world titles at catchweights too.
        leonard made lalonde meet him at 168 so he could fight for both the then new wbc supermiddleweight belt as well as lalonde's light heavyweight belt

ironically enough lalonde weighed in one pound under the 168 pound limit...

u failed

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
          Please, Throw me a source to read. Interesting read.

That sucks

Did Langford ever use it or was he just the guy that got continually screwed?
          There is no source. Blackburn never was the Welter champion.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            It was Walcott, not Blackburn, and when they fought the division limit wasn't firm at 147. It wasn't universally absolute 147 until closer to the teens/1920. They fought in 1904 and often the limits then were between 142-54.

Might want to check into that sort of thing before comparing today to 100-plus years back.
            interesting.

I have to do some more detail reading to fill in the blanks.

Any sources you suggest?

Comment

interesting.

I have to do some more detail reading to fill in the blanks.

Any sources you suggest?
              here's a quickie: http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Welterweight

Comment

Where am I comparing todays fighters to Langford ?, Benny asked me if Langford fought at a catch weight and I answered, I'm not comparing anybody to him.

Comment

How about Sam Langford, did he do it too?

I'm actually asking by the way.

Still all the reason why the Heavyweights are King.
                  bob fitzsimmons > roy jones

Comment

Kool

Comment

Where am I comparing todays fighters to Langford ?, Benny asked me if Langford fought at a catch weight and I answered, I'm not comparing anybody to him.
                      Didn't mean to seem rude; just pointing out the catchweight idea isn't the same. There wasn't a firm ceiling in the first place and 142 was a fairly typical Welter limit at the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X