Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had this thought in light of Brits dominating the oscars last night.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had this thought in light of Brits dominating the oscars last night.

What has happened to american actors? I'll start this by saying pretty much all the great actors have been Yanks. We have had a solid tradition of acting and have produced loads of great actors but when I make a list of my favourite actors most of them are American, People like De Niro, Pacino, Depp, Streep, Eastwood and Washington will be remembered as P4p GOATS. Pretty much all my favourite films are american featuring american actors

However you dont see many young american actors taking the world by storm like they used to, apart from. Gyllenhaal, anne Hathaway and Josh Hartnet I struggle to think of any young yank actors who will be remembered in 20-30 years time., mention to leo decaprio aswell, love or hate his films you cant deny he is good at what he does. Plus now you see many lead roles in films of Brits playing Americans, even in TV aswell, Anna friel, Hugh Laurie, two of the guys from the Wire are from south england.

Why is this?

British actors are exactly that, Actors. Pretty much all the brit actors you see in hollywood have been acting since a young age, have acted in theatre etc, pretty much worked there way up the ladder and are thus experienced professionals. This same can also be said for Antipodean actors aswell.

In comparison, i have noticed in the last decade that in America celebrities are starring in films, its almost like the studios know if they put a well known face in a film they know people will pay to see it. Hit album? here have a film. Plus it seems like if you look like an alpha male, say a one liner in a gruff manner and jump out of an exploding car/building in a pleasing way, then you will be the cookie cutter action star e.g. Vin Diesel, Ice cube and they'll rinse you until the next one comes along and repeat the process. As a result of this they have no staying power and are found out/rinsed after a while. Thus theyve become disposable, ad are discarded once their profit making potential decreases.

Thoughts?

Feel free to agree/disagree, flame, whatever!

Oh **** cant believe I forgot sean penn aswell. he's a proper badman aswell. Much respect to him.

Comment

Oh yeah if there are any Yank actors/films I should know about, cos obviously I dont live there so dont see everyone/thing, let me know. I'm always interested in good films/shows of any country!

Comment

There are still great american actors! the problem is most of them only want money etc, its strange i don't know what has happened.

Comment

damn...even the oscars are a topic of the US vs UK debate

Comment

The top male American actors tend to go into the more commericial, blockbusters
            Di Caprio, Pitt, Damon, Norton to name a few
            They then tend to lose credit as great actors.

Comment

Fat yanks lose again

Comment

In the Actress department, the Brits have got that on lock. Apart from Bale and may be Craig there really isn't a stand out UK actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
                  damn...even the oscars are a topic of the US vs UK debate
                  I'mnot trying to turn it into a US v UK debate. I apologise if it comes across that way.

Its just I was watching the edited version and I tried to think about the last time I was truly in awe of an American actors performance. For most of my life when I watched a Hollywood film I've been in complete awe at the actors and how good they are (99% Yank). The last time I was truly bowled over by an American actor in an american film was Donnie Darko and The Bourne films.(of course I still worship the actors I mentioned in the first post so they dont count)I did love the Ferrell/Vaughn films until the joke got old. I'm not sayin UK actors and movies are all great (though in recent years there have been some classics), I find myself watching Japanese and other sub-titled films to get truly blown away by a film.

The way I see it you have Eastwood, Pacino, De Niro, who have passed on the mantle to Depp, Penn, Washington. I just dont see the next generation coming through, cos believe me there is nothing I would like better than to see another film with the calibre of acting of something like the Godfather/Goodfellas/Donnie Darko coming out of Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Addition View Post
                    In the Actress department, the Brits have got that on lock. Apart from Bale and may be Craig there really isn't a stand out UK actor.
                    Daniel Day Lewis.

Comment

Working...
                    X