Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kovalev's HBO exclusivity contract is making undisputed champions a thing of the pass

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kovalev's HBO exclusivity contract is making undisputed champions a thing of the pass

Doug Fischer | April 1, 2016
    I'm sad to clarify the situation. Stevenson isn’t retired or in witness protection (although some fans claim that he is in order to hide from The Krusher). The lineal/WBC champ is promoted by Yvon Michel of GYM, the most prominent company in the Quebec region of Canada, and he’s advised by Al Haymon. I hate writing about the business/politics side of boxing. I view it as peripheral s__t, but the fact of matter is that it often dictates what happens or doesn’t happen in the sport these days.
    Kovalev’s exclusive contract with HBO is the main obstacle preventing a deal from being reached with Stevenson. I know it’s frustrating for a longtime boxing fan to have to factor in promotional conflicts and network exclusivity every time he or she talks about potential matchups. Beyond the promotional impasse, there’s Ward’s contract with HBO, which (for the time being) has an adversarial relationship with Haymon. I’d love to see Ward challenge Stevenson in his next fight. If he won then took on Kovalev in his next bout the winner of that showdown would be THE RING/undisputed/unified champion at light heavyweight.
    It hurts me to write this, but the age of “Cold Wars” between boxing’s power brokers is quickly making undisputed champions a thing of the past.
    SOURCE: R*NG

Yvon Michel | Febuary 3, 2016
    We got an offer; we made an offer. The offer that we made is exactly the same exact proposal except we require since it’s pay-per-view, Showtime HBO distribution, instead of just HBO, and the offer is still on the table as long as both are going to be champions. All of my guys, Artur Beterbiev, Elieder Alvarez, Oscar Rivas, Kevin Bizier, Lucian Bute who I do co-promote with Interbox, they all have fought on Showtime in the last 12 months. Same thing with Adonis, he fought twice on Showtime but also CBS, which is a parent company of Showtime. So it’s just that we are on that side, period. What he’s done with HBO in the past is irrelevant at this point and it’s not like someone is asking for a huge license fee. The proposal would be for a pay-per-view with HBO, which then HBO would not invest to do the fight by itself.
    But Iike I said, our offer is still on the table, maybe if Kovalev’s going to fight in Russia in June, maybe a September date will be better. I know there are plans for Kovalev to fight Andre Ward but who knows what will happen from now. I really feel the two guys are destined to fight each other, Showtime made a move; hopefully HBO will too. It’s a fight Stevenson wants, I want too. I still have hope one day or another they will fight each other.
    SOURCE: UNCLIVE

Stephen Espinosa | January 28, 2016
    Both networks want the fight to happen. Each network has an attachment to their specific guy. We should let both networks bid on it; the highest bidder gets the fight. Showtime’s willing to take that risk. It’s in the best interests of the fighters and promoters. It maximizes the TV license money. Failing that, an easy way to solve it is a joint pay-per-view. There are multiple ways to solve this problem. It’s not that complicated. It’s the right fight for both guys, for the fans and the networks. Those in the sport should be doing all we can to make it happen.
    SOURCE: LATIMES

This network **** is stupid,always has been and always will be...promoters,networks, sanctioning bodies all road blocks to fights fans want to see

Comment

who cares, chickenshit and Killa kovalev couldent of fought a long time ago but chicken**** didnt want to... anything that happens after that who cares, cause that what it basically boils down to. Chickenshit didnt want it when he could have of got it.

Comment

I like Espinoza's idea. Do a joint PPV or else let HBO and Showtime bid on it and the network with the highest offer gets the fight.

Simple and fair. And the fighters benefit from maximizing the money.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          I like Espinoza's idea. Do a joint PPV or else let HBO and Showtime bid on it and the network with the highest offer gets the fight.

Sure, that sounds like a good idea... except for the fact that Stevenson doesn't have an exclusive deal with Showtime. In fact he hasn't fought on the network since 2014. His last two fights were on Spike and CBS. Espinoza is trying to get a piece of this fight, even though he has no exclusive rights to the fighter.

Here's the reality, one guy is tied to a network the other guy isn't. Stevenson is with Haymon, but he's not tied to a specific network. So he could fight on HBO if he wanted. According to Duva, they've offered him a 50/50 split with a PPV, which sounds like a good deal. It would be more than he's making anyway. He's definitely not making $5M fighting guys like Bika and Karpency. So why not take the offer?

It's funny, he'll fight on CBS and Spike against no names, but when it comes to Kovalev "Oh it has to be a joint Showtime- HBO PPV!!!"

Stevenson is only getting older. Soon he'll get KOed by one these Karpency type opponents and be worth absolutely nothing. Meanwhile Kovalev is set to fight on HBO PPV with Andre Ward for P4P supremacy.

Comment

Hey Adonis or someone down with Adonis's campe or who worships Adonis I see you came to talk about Adonis again.

Love or hate any particular promoter or fighter the reality is the business of boxing is bigger than the sport of boxing in the decision making process for networks, promoters, managers & fighters these days. And with this particular fight there isn't enough money or f#cks given about it happening.

Comment

I like Espinoza's idea. Do a joint PPV
              I believe Showtime & HBO have only come together for two of the biggest fights in boxing history. Manny vs Floyd & Tyson vs Lewis. Do you honestly think there is enough money to spread around on Adonis vs Sergey? I don't. Its a good fight, Its a fight I'd like to see, I think it'd be a fun fight, but its for sure not a money fight.

Comment

I doubt they do a joint ppv

Kovalev/Stevenson isn't floyd/manny and tyson/lewis

Comment

Stevenson is the dumbass that jump ship to showtime after him and Kovalev signed a contract to fight. I don't blame networks. I blame Stevenson.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    I believe Showtime & HBO have only come together for two of the biggest fights in boxing history. Manny vs Floyd & Tyson vs Lewis. Do you honestly think there is enough money to spread around on Adonis vs Sergey? I don't. Its a good fight, Its a fight I'd like to see, I think it'd be a fun fight, but its for sure not a money fight.
                    Stevenson and his team know this, but they're hiding behind a purse bid...

He can make very good money fighting Kovalev on HBO PPV. More than he''s ever made in a fight in his career, He chooses not to.

He is literally one punch away from becoming totally irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                    X