Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How physically damaged will Floyd be after this fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Raw Dog View Post
    Sounded perfectly fine to me in the Post fight press conference.
    Well, that's a hell of a threshold. It would be REALLY alarming if he was slurring his words after one tough fight.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.king View Post
      Yes, actually. I never said that I thought Maidana necessarily won the fight or that Maidana landed a bunch of clean scoring blows. But Mayweather took a pounding all over his body last night, including dozens and dozens of non-scoring punches to the back of the head, the kidneys, and his ballsack. If he were 31, I'd say it was a non-issue. But given the slight degradation in his physical tools in the past several years (which is only natural) and the fact that he's pushing 40, he may have a harder time than usual bouncing back from all those shots to the sack and back of the head.

mayweather is 37...

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        mayweather is 37...
        Yeah ... fair enough. Still, a 37-year-old taking sustained body punishment like that is more likely to show a few lasting effects. He's been in tough a couple of times now, and maybe at his age, it starts showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

Damn. Floyd always making Ellerbe grow a third arm.

Comment

Jones-Tarver I

Comment

Well, that's a hell of a threshold. It would be REALLY alarming if he was slurring his words after one tough fight.
              I'm not talking about his speech, I'm talking about his ability to be cognizant of how the fight was perceived, what he intended to accomplish in the fight, and his overall summarization of the event. Floyd didn't take a lot of punishment in that fight, it was a easy fight to score.
              Last edited by The Raw Dog; 05-04-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah ... fair enough. Still, a 37-year-old taking sustained body punishment like that is more likely to show a few lasting effects. He's been in tough a couple of times now, and maybe at his age, it starts showing up.
                Your reaching, this was a sloppier version of that Hatton fight without the KO. Hatton actually was more affective than Maidana, but people tend to forget Floyd has these types of fights from time to time.

Comment

I'm not talking about his speech, I'm talking about his ability to be cognizant of how the fight will be perceived, what he intended to accomplish in the fight, and his overall summarization of the event. Floyd didn't take a lot of punishment in that fight, it was a easy fight to score.
                  Those are two different things, which is entirely my point. Even if we all agree that Floyd got the rightful decision, you can't deny that Floyd took a lot more punishment than he ever has before. Those thudding shots that land but don't score or land but are partially blocked, after 12 rounds, they add up -- especially for a 37-year-old body.

I'm still not sure what you're point is regarding his comments at the press conference.

Comment

Your reaching, this was a sloppier version of that Hatton fight without the KO. Hatton actually was more affective than Maidana, but people tend to forget Floyd has these types of fights from time to time.
                    You're either making my point, or you don't understand my point, or both. The Hatton fight was six and a half years ago. I can't possibly agree with you Hatton was more effective or did more damage to May than Maidana, but even if I grant you that point, Floyd is 37 now. I think his age and the fact that he's now had a couple of tough fights in the past two years means that we have to at least wonder whether he will show some visible lasting physical effects going forward.

Comment

Those are two different things, which is entirely my point. Even if we all agree that Floyd got the rightful decision, you can't deny that Floyd took a lot more punishment than he ever has before. Those thudding shots that land but don't score or land but are partially blocked, after 12 rounds, they add up -- especially for a 37-year-old body.

I'm still not sure what you're point is regarding his comments at the press conference.
                      Maidana did land a lot of shots, but the point I'm making is Floyd Has made a habit of beating fighters fighting their style of fighting. Floyd went on record stating the punches weren't harder than Cotto or Canelo, and he wasn't tougher just a rugged guy which is what I believed with my eyes after watching the fight. That's why I'm saying he didn't take a lot of punishment, he have gotten hit a little more, but punishment that would leave a lasting effect I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                      X