Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If boxing was more mainstream in America....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course USA has the most potential in every sport. If we cared about soccer as much as we do about nba nfl USA would be top 5 easily

Comment

I am white but I am going to tell the truth about this. The popularity of boxing declined when it stopped being dominated by white fighters for the most part. Something being popular in the US basically means a large "white audience". The NFL, MLB, UFC and Nascar. The NBA actually isn't that popular and has been losing viewers for years, they struggle more than people know. The reason the UFC is so popular is because it is a white dominated sport, as is baseball and Nascar. The NFL is still popular because even though there are a lot of black players, many of the big QB stars are still white. Boxing was always an ethnic sport and now since its global and dominated by Hispanics, Blacks, Russians, Europeans, etc. the white American audience has lost interest. Another reason being the HVWT division, which is the flagship division for the casual fans/viewers. If the HVWT champ isn't american then most aren't interested. What people forget is because something isn't popular in the US is not a death knell. Boxing is akin to soccer, its wildly popular everywhere but the US. When the UFC is no longer dominated by white fighters and it is mostly black/hispanic or foreign you will see the popularity slide.

Comment

Originally posted by Khabash View Post
        Lmao Africa is a continent bruh.

And poor people are usually tougher so there is potential.
        African countries don't tend to produce a lot of champions. They've never really burst through the amatuer scene either.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
          I am white but I am going to tell the truth about this. The popularity of boxing declined when it stopped being dominated by white fighters for the most part. Something being popular in the US basically means a large "white audience". The NFL, MLB, UFC and Nascar. The NBA actually isn't that popular and has been losing viewers for years, they struggle more than people know. The reason the UFC is so popular is because it is a white dominated sport, as is baseball and Nascar. The NFL is still popular because even though there are a lot of black players, many of the big QB stars are still white. Boxing was always an ethnic sport and now since its global and dominated by Hispanics, Blacks, Russians, Europeans, etc. the white American audience has lost interest. Another reason being the HVWT division, which is the flagship division for the casual fans/viewers. If the HVWT champ isn't american then most aren't interested. What people forget is because something isn't popular in the US is not a death knell. Boxing is akin to soccer, its wildly popular everywhere but the US. When the UFC is no longer dominated by white fighters and it is mostly black/hispanic or foreign you will see the popularity slide.
          Hate to say it but he's right. Less White American's in the sport and also less american champions so the public doesn't care as much. I personally don't care where the champions are from but for some reason Americans have gotten hung up on the fact that the heavyweight champions aren't american

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
            Plenty of slow plodding unathletic white guys beat some slick athletic black guys when boxing was mainstream back in the golden age.

Its why they call it the sweet science for a reason because styles make fights. You don't have to be a athletic person to be a top boxer, we seen some athletic black guys who never even made it to the top of boxing like Seth Mitchell he has a glass jaw.

I think OP needs to learn boxing and stop with this racist Afrocentric agenda.
            Seth Mitchell may have been an ex american football player, but he is FAR from athletic. That's a really bad example. Athletic boxers are Floyd, Sergio, Rigo, Pacquiao. Guys who have a lot of torso movement and use their legs.

Comment

Working...
            X