Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe you have the right to belive in god?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post

Atheists simply reject these claims. Atheists don't BELIEVE in anything. There is nothing I believe in, I assess certain things based on evidence and what I think is the most likely if I don't have all the answers to, but I don't believe in something. That is left for you guys, that's why FAITH is such an underlining point made by religious people.

Just because we don't know, doesn't mean there isn't evidence for something, and a rational, logical understanding of it and leaning to accept that one thing based on the evidence.
    In a way, as an atheist, i feel i do believe in things and also have faith. But dont think its the same as religious belief or faith. Id say i have faith in science, because the methodology is our best attempt at understanding reality. Plus, science works. I have good reason to have faith in scientists, because their work has shaped the world we live in.

Many religious people have put forward arguments as to why they believe god created the universe based on their understanding of science. Most scientists may disagree. But they would argue their beliefs are based on evidence, reason and logic.
    Im sceptical. I think they form arguments using science to justify their beliefs which are ultimately built on superstition and were indoctrinated.

Originally posted by Brother Khalid View Post
    TBH atheist and bible grippers are one in the same.

What's funny is they criticize each other for doing the same things they do themselves.

Just an honest observation.
    Originally posted by Brother Khalid View Post
    Indeed they are.

They both look at each other as fools for believe in what they believe, when in fact, there are holes in both lines of thinking.

Now I'm not advocating a "God of the Gaps" type of mentality, but in all honesty there are things that are unknown and will probably remain so. It comes a point in which all we can do is put forward a best guess based off the things we know.

There are other examples as well, but again both of these groups do the same thing they bash others for doing.
    They dont always look at each other as fools. Most are quite indifferent to their beliefs or lack of.
    The difference between god of the gaps and scientific hypothesis, is one looks at the unknown and fills it with a deity capable of suspending the laws of physics at will.
    With science, they must make educated guesses, based on known laws. And most importantly, are open to alternatives and allow the unknowns to remain unknown until they are able to provide a decent theory.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      In a way, as an atheist, i feel i do believe in things and also have faith. But dont think its the same as religious belief or faith. Id say i have faith in science, because the methodology is our best attempt at understanding reality. Plus, science works. I have good reason to have faith in scientists, because their work has shaped the world we live in.

Many religious people have put forward arguments as to why they believe god created the universe based on their understanding of science. Most scientists may disagree. But they would argue their beliefs are based on evidence, reason and logic.
      Im sceptical. I think they form arguments using science to justify their beliefs which are ultimately built on superstition and were indoctrinated.

They dont always look at each other as fools. Most are quite indifferent to their beliefs or lack of.
      The difference between god of the gaps and scientific hypothesis, is one looks at the unknown and fills it with a deity capable of suspending the laws of physics at will.
      With science, they must make educated guesses, based on known laws. And most importantly, are open to alternatives and allow the unknowns to remain unknown until they are able to provide a decent theory.
      This is a great reply, and I would love to comment on it later when I get more time.

With that said, as a person who believes in God but is also a fan of Richard Dawkins, Jared Diamond, Matt Ridley and others, I would like to say that all knowledge should be progressive.

Regardless of what you believe, I feel you should always question what you believe and try to learn more.
      Last edited by Khalid X; 08-03-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Just read this article. It gets back to the issue of peoples right to believe what they want.

WARNING: Graphic photo that might make u sad and puke a little.
        Story is about how parents who believed in faith healing let their child almost go blind for refusing to get her medical help.

http://www.examiner.com/article/oreg...aboola_inbound

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
          Just read this article. It gets back to the issue of peoples right to believe what they want.

WARNING: Graphic photo that might make u sad and puke a little.
          Story is about how parents who believed in faith healing let their child almost go blind for refusing to get her medical help.

http://www.examiner.com/article/oreg...aboola_inbound

Comment

Working...
          X