Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hardest KO punch you've seen...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, watched it again a few years ago. I believe that was the second HBO fight I ever watched too, after Leonard beat Hagler that past April, so this was about 3 months later. After that, it was mostly Tyson fights before I started watching a lot of the lower weight classes on there. McCallum was mostly known for his body punching though right? How come more boxers don't work the body anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      On McCallum-Curry...

It was a left hook by McCallum, and Curry was not firing his own hook- nothing simultaneous. Curry backed straight out of in close contact with his head in the air and McCallum just smoothly hooked him into oblivion.
      Just checked it out on youtube, and yes you're correct, it was a left, but McCallum landed it just a split second after Curry had missed with a big left of his own..

Interestingly enough though, up until that point, Curry had been outboxing McCallum and was ahead on the cards..

Comment

That last combo was insane.

Comment

...........my sig

Comment

Bute-Berrio was nuts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Yep, watched it again a few years ago. I believe that was the second HBO fight I ever watched too, after Leonard beat Hagler that past April, so this was about 3 months later. After that, it was mostly Tyson fights before I started watching a lot of the lower weight classes on there. McCallum was mostly known for his body punching though right? How come more boxers don't work the body anymore?
              Indeed, he was'nt named 'The Body Snatcher' for nothing.

In response to the lack of modern day fighters not working the body, boxing like a lot of other sports does tend to go through a few stylistic trends (like in Soccer, when people say,'Why don't players dribble anymore?') But you will always get the odd fighter who makes a career out of it - Ricky Hatton & Vasilly Jirov in recent years.. Pac, JMM and Cotto all like a go downstairs aswell..
              Been having a little look at the up and coming Chris Eubank Jnr who imo is gonna get somewhere, and it's his blistering body combinations that have caught my eye.. So we might have one for the not too distant future there..

Drifted off topic a little but for some reason, as i've been typing, Tommy Hearns debut as a middleweight kept coming to mind.. Pretty sure it was on the Hagler Mugabe undercard, verses James 'Black Gold' Schuler..
              Tommy iced him in the 1st with a righthand from hell, which more than deserves a mention on this thread..

Comment

Hearns fought Schuler after he fought Hagler, and had a few middleweight fights prior to that. In fact, he fought at middleweight before he won the welterweight crown against a former Hagler foe in Mike Colbert. He beat Ernie Singletary underneath Ali-Berbick, beat former Hagler foe Marcos Geraldo, Jeff McCracken, and former lt heavy Murray Sutherland....all at middleweight.

Hearns always had a frame that could support the rise in weight.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  Hearns fought Schuler after he fought Hagler, and had a few middleweight fights prior to that. In fact, he fought at middleweight before he won the welterweight crown against a former Hagler foe in Mike Colbert. He beat Ernie Singletary underneath Ali-Berbick, beat former Hagler foe Marcos Geraldo, Jeff McCracken, and former lt heavy Murray Sutherland....all at middleweight.

Hearns always had a frame that could support the rise in weight.
                  Jeez.... My memory's shot to bits these days.

Hagler fought Mugabe after Hearns which makes you right on that score..

I'd completely forgotten about Geraldo, McCracken & Sutherland, but i do remember that after defeating Schuler he immediately dropped back to 154 and stopped Mark Medal for the WBC lmwt title and about a year after that, moved up to 175 and battered Dennis Andries for the WBC lhwt belt, all before actually winning the WBC mwt title with a good ko over Juan Roldan..

Getting back to the Hagler Mugabe card, Schuler was'nt the only one to suffer a brutal ko that night.. Can also recall fears for bantamweight Ritchie Sandoval getting badly sparked by Gabby Canizales..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    Jeez.... My memory's shot to bits these days.

Hagler fought Mugabe after Hearns which makes you right on that score..

I'd completely forgotten about Geraldo, McCracken & Sutherland, but i do remember that after defeating Schuler he immediately dropped back to 154 and stopped Mark Medal for the WBC lmwt title and about a year after that, moved up to 175 and battered Dennis Andries for the WBC lhwt belt, all before actually winning the WBC mwt title with a good ko over Juan Roldan..

Getting back to the Hagler Mugabe card, Schuler was'nt the only one to suffer a brutal ko that night.. Can also recall fears for bantamweight Ritchie Sandoval getting badly sparked by Gabby Canizales..
                    Yeah, that (Sandoval-Canizales) was the first time I remember weight loss/dehydration being considered a real factor in a tragedy or near tragedy.

Comment

It seems the crisp HD footage enhances the brutality of these KO's. That's why my pick would be Arthur Abraham nearly knocking a poor lower ranked fighter's head off with a left hook. His head was shaking from the punch so violently.

Comment

Working...
                      X