Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POor Martinez!! That translator sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by fishman View Post
      Awful post bro. People were getting in line to blow the iron-chinned Pwill at one point, now hes b-level cause hes faded. It happens in boxing but it doesnt make him less of the fighter then he was at the time. Now hes a cherry picker. MArtinez is good, pac is good, floyd is good. End of story. This post is dick-riding 101.
      STFU!

First of all, Williams has never been anything great in my eyes, the people who has been on this site for more than 2 days knows it. Paul Williams was a KO wating to happend

Second, Martinez said Pacquiao was small, but then he turns to want to fight him. I dont care if Pacquiao won a HW belt, he weighs 148 fight night and Martinez weights 170 fight night. And guys like RJJ and Floyd had won belts at higher weights, but they came right back down, because the weight they won the belt at was too high for them.

Martinez says, Pacquiao fight no hopers and then goes and signs to fight Darren Barker. When he atleast faces the best in his division, we can talk!

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
        I respectfully - but vehemently - disagree with you.

Sergio fought Williams (bigger man), Pavlik (MUCH bigger man), and Dzinziruk (same size).

He called out the MW champion (bigger man) who refuses to fight him.

He called out Felix Sturm, who is under contract and has no reason to fight him.

Why should Sergio have to go fight 190 pound guys when Mayweather and Pac have been fighting OTHER guys who are his size.

Margarito and Sergio are the same size. Shane ia just a bit smaller.
        That's a bit of hyperbole, Gino. No one ever even insinuated that Sergio should have to fight 190lbs fighters. He could simply fight Ward, Froch, Johnson, Abraham, Kessler ... it wouldn't matter who.

"Calling out" means nothing. If Mayweather called out Donaire, would Donaire be a coward for not taking the fight that same year despite the gap in weight?

No he wouldn't. Its usually the smaller guy who calls out the bigger guy, He serves him notice that he has intentions of moving up and facing him. Its usually NEVER the other way around. That was my point.

Its the Bernard Hopkins syndrome. A bigger boxer tries to make a bigger name and legacy for himself by waiting around to face fighters 2 divisions smaller than himself. BHOP tried to use his wins against both Tito and DLH. The matches themselves were more exciting than the actual value that they would have had as far as legacies goes.

You can call Sergio P4P#1 if you like. You can all him the grand exalted ruler of Argentina Boxing if you like ... but the man has 2 notable wins out of 51 fights. That more than ANYTHING ELSE says more about what kind of challenges this man has conquered and chances he has taken.

I sincerely like Sergio as a boxer. He's smart, in good shape and puts on a show. Calling him P4P#1 diminishes him and his career because he hasn't earned it. He has ZERO longevity. He has ZERO wins over reigning champions.

Considering that Pavlik was coming off a loss that clearly damaged him as a fighter, and Williams had been exposed first by Quintana, then by Martinez and then by Lara ... Sergio wasn't doing anything special to be hailed as #1.

Its that kind of sycophantic praise that ruins the sport. People always talk about how the golden era was so much better. Well i think it was better because there was always a clear king of the mountain.

This nonsense where everyone is a king of the sport diminishes every truly great boxer and accomplishment within the sport.

You look at guys who have fought top competition throughout their entire careers and beat them in every division they've competed in to remain champions with remarkable longevity ... and they are talked about in the same conversation with guys who have heavily padded their records, lost several times, competed for vacant titles instead of championships, and have MAYBE one or two noteworthy fights on their entire resume.

With all due respect, that's complete and utter bull****.

This era of boxing doesn't suck because there is no talent. This era of boxing sucks because its riddled with so much greed that each division has like 4 or 5 freaking title belts.

It sucks because any bum can win a fight and be hurled from the bottom of the barrel to the top of the mythical P4P list .. which BTW doesn't even hold the same meaning as it used to.

Boxing sucks because the fans let ANYTHING go. Margarito should be banned for life for what he tried to do to Shane Mosley. He's no better than Resto. And what happened? Boxing actually REWARDED Margarito with a jrMW vacant title match. Fans pay to see it. They support that kind of crap.

Boxing would be a million times better if there was one king per division. The sport itself would be so much more entertaining knowing that everyone in a division has to gun for only one man instead of slipping and sliding by with vacant titles and catchweight fiascoes.

This whole P4P thing would be wiped out because the fans wouldn't get to pass off unbalanced and biased opinions as legitimate rankings. There would be one clear king and no gray area. There would be #1 the king and the #2 contender and everyone else would just be trying to make their way up the ladder.

All the silly talk about how the last guy who won his last fight is the #1 boxer in the world in any division would cease because it would make no sense.

Rankings exist for a reason. P4P used to be an argument that said if height and weight weren't factors, a smaller guys skills could theoretically beat a bigger man's skills. Nowadays P4P is just a way for fans, who cannot except that their favorite fighter hasn't done much, to exaggerate the importance and impact that their favorite fighter has had on the sport.

I like Martinez, but calling him great, P4P#1, one of the best, a HOF, an ATG, is all overblown bull**** when the fact of the matter is that he's had success in 2 freakin fights against big name guys.

Call it like it is, not like you'd like it to be.

I'm not directing this at you Gino. For the most part I dig what you have to say. However I really just hate the way so-called fans talk **** that they can't back up with facts and figures.

In your case, its that Martinez has done ANYTHING that puts him in position to demand ANYTHING. The man as of right now is a fad. Let him do some things of merit and keep doing them to earn being called the #1 anything.

The real problem today is that the best earn the right to be called the best, but what they do is never enough. If they don't fight every fighter, in every division, at every turn they are ducking or running.

Now, when a group's favorite fighter wins just one fight, and it doesn't even have to be against a top 5 contender, that group will scream at the top of their lungs that their fighter is the best despite having done nothing of merit, and any one who disagrees instantly becomes a "hater".

This is what happens when you open the floodgates to peasantville and the natives begin to fancy themselves actual boxing fans because they've seen a few matches.

Boxing as a business is so desperate to stay ahead of MMA they would welcome any interest or press they can get. The more rabid the fan, the better in the eyes of boxing.

Its pathetic.

Comment

Working...
        X