No announcement yet.

Cardio and fat burning question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio and fat burning question

I have a torn pectoral muscle, golfer's elbow and tennis elbow. **** sucks... I tore my muscle in a fight two years ago. I cannot do weight lifting. I can barely do a pushup. I bench the 45 pound bar just by itself for stretching and to slowly regain and maintain some strength. I have complete movement but my doctor says my strength in that side is down 60%-70%

I play a lot of basketball, 3-4 times a week , 3-4 hours each time. You know pick up games. It definitely helps me keep my weight. I'm not in good shape. But I'd be a whale if I didn't do it. I guess I have super slow metabolism plus I love to eat. I can honestly say I am about 25 pounds over weight. And I'm thinking of buying an elliptical or a stationary bike.

I watch about 3-4 hours of t.v when I get home. NBA league pass. Its strictly don't bother me time. I thought I might as well get on a bike instead of sitting on the couch and burn some calories. I think I can sit for those 3-4 hours and maybe not go at full speed but pace myself. And I know my self. I will push my self to the limit. I know I will do it as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I'm trying to lose those 25 pounds in 3 months tops , in one of those machines. No particular reason for the time frame. Just a goal I'd like to accomplish. Can I get rid of the gut with it or will I be working out another part of the body mostly by doing this?

If I can accomplish it with the machine , what other things can I start doing to help the routine I'm planning on starting.

you could just severe the arm with the bad elbow, that'd be like 15-20 lbs right there. watch your diet for the next 3 months and you should easily lose the 25 lbs. good luck........... Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      you could just severe the arm with the bad elbow, that'd be like 15-20 lbs right there. watch your diet for the next 3 months and you should easily lose the 25 lbs. good luck........... Rockin'
      Really?? The reason why I thought about doing this was because I've been seeing different therapist since it happened and the first one I saw actually had me on an ellipctical for 15 minutes in the first visit.

When he told me get on it , me and my wife almost busted out laughing. I thought in my head , "I'd be lucky to even do 3 minutes straight , but fUK it lets go"

But I did it and It felt good. I could have kept going. That's why I'm so confident on being able to push myself. I don't see how I can severe it. I don't really use my arms. Maybe on the elliptical to push it a little. But I'm not completely handicapped and my elbow is feeling the best it has in a few months.

I can lift from a standing position with both arms. My right elbow limits me to about 40 pounds. Or no longer than 2 minutes. it really hurts if I hold something heavy in my hand for that long.With my pectoral tear I can't push at all. I can pull a bit more than I can push.

And , yeah. I'm definitely going to change my diet. I drink a lot of juice and beer.I'm going to say bye to the beer for a little while. And drinking water.

Comment

- you can't spot reduce fat around your gut. you will lose fat all over your body.

- doing ab exercises will increase metabolic rate in this area, making it easier to lose fat.

- interval training.

- which machine? for me, elliptical because i can sustain fast high heart rate for longer because my legs aren't strong enough to sustain high heart rate in cycling. elliptical is way more expensive.

- non-machine cardio you can do in your living room that are all over the internet e.g. burpees.

- if you like to eat, eat a lot after your workout. this period is the anabolic period where your body needs food and can carry more of it. eating in this timeframe increases your insulin sensitivity for up to 8 hours after which is a good thing. try not to eat fruit with your meal and there are also other food groups except greens which cannot mix with other food groups.

- your gut could be fat but for some people its bloating caused by things like excess fibres or protein or carbs which your digestive tract cant cope with or lordosis or weak TVA muscle.

could write a bunch of stuff but getting bored and gotta watch lara schooling trout replay.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
          - you can't spot reduce fat around your gut. you will lose fat all over your body.

- doing ab exercises will increase metabolic rate in this area, making it easier to lose fat.

- interval training.

- which machine? for me, elliptical because i can sustain fast high heart rate for longer because my legs aren't strong enough to sustain high heart rate in cycling. elliptical is way more expensive.

- non-machine cardio you can do in your living room that are all over the internet e.g. burpees.

- if you like to eat, eat a lot after your workout. this period is the anabolic period where your body needs food and can carry more of it. eating in this timeframe increases your insulin sensitivity for up to 8 hours after which is a good thing. try not to eat fruit with your meal and there are also other food groups except greens which cannot mix with other food groups.

- your gut could be fat but for some people its bloating caused by things like excess fibres or protein or carbs which your digestive tract cant cope with or lordosis or weak TVA muscle.

could write a bunch of stuff but getting bored and gotta watch lara schooling trout replay.
          Definitely appreciate the info. If you could tell me a bit more about not mixing certain types of foods and about the pros and cons of ellipctical vs Stationary bike it would be great. I've done burpees. You need to do a pushup in it right? I can't do that.

Comment

You can do burpees without the push up. They're called squat thrusts.

If that still bothers your bad side then do one arm squat thrusts with your other arm.

You could also just do squat kicks and focus purely on the lower body. Do a bodyweight squat....come up.....then do a front kick with your right leg. On the next rep do the front kick with your left leg. Repeat until you get tired or do sets of 30 or whatever number you can handle.

Comment

Invest in a nice pair of running shoes and start jogging.

Perhaps you can limit the time you spend watching basketball and catch the highlights on a few days? More time to work out.

Comment

Originally posted by MODAPHUKA View Post
                Definitely appreciate the info. If you could tell me a bit more about not mixing certain types of foods and about the pros and cons of ellipctical vs Stationary bike it would be great. I've done burpees. You need to do a pushup in it right? I can't do that.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLWaZW9ZrMs

Comment

Originally posted by MODAPHUKA View Post
                  another vid on which foods not to mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1wkdUK5uiU
                  -------------------------
                  - elliptical would be better for fat loss which seems to be your goal.

Comment

what's your diet?

Comment

Working...
                    X