Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 1 year inactive, you should be stripped of all titles and rankings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say if your inactive for more than 8 months let the 2 top guys fight for the interim belt. Then when your healthy/active again you can fight for your title back.
    Win/win, sanctioning bodies still get their fee's while the top guy is out and then they have the right to win their title back.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      Why should Andre Ward be forced to fight just because it's been awhile? Clearly there's no one out there that would be remotely competitive against him so why bother? He could get injured, so why risk it?
      What an awful attitude. Just because there is no-one out there worth fighting (in your opinion) he should just sit on his belts and do nothing?

No-one is forcing him to fight either, but if he isn't willing to defend his title he shouldn't be allowed to keep that title.

Comment

I agree. FIghters shouldn't be sitting on their belts

Comment

I think fighters should have a set time period to defend and if they are unwilling or unable to do that then they should be stripped of the title(s). Even if they are injured, IMO, as it's very easy to fake injury in this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            365 days I think is enough time.

In no other sport would you be allowed a year off, and it's unfair to the other active fighters.

I honestly feel that if you do not fight in 1 year you should be stripped of all your titles and booted out of the rankings
            If this wer amatuer boxing I'd agree with you. But this is prizefighting at the professional level.

A fighter may not be actually defending the title but he may have a fight planned and the time off is being used to market and promote the fight to increase its profitability.

is it fair that the big stars get to keep their belts-no. But the sanctioning bodies need money to run their organizations. so you could, for example, strip floyd after a year. Doing that, you lose money because the percentage frm just one of his defenses is more than you will likely get from 4-5 defenses from a less obscure fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
              Why should Andre Ward be forced to fight just because it's been awhile? Clearly there's no one out there that would be remotely competitive against him so why bother? He could get injured, so why risk it?
              Wow, really?

Andre is better than everybody else so he doesn't have to fight? Do some of you fanboys even know what the hell you're typing?

If he doesn't have to fight, tell him to quit the sport then.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
                What an awful attitude. Just because there is no-one out there worth fighting (in your opinion) he should just sit on his belts and do nothing?

No-one is forcing him to fight either, but if he isn't willing to defend his title he shouldn't be allowed to keep that title.
                Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                Wow, really?

Andre is better than everybody else so he doesn't have to fight? Do some of you fanboys even know what the hell you're typing?

If he doesn't have to fight, tell him to quit the sport then.
                I'm being facetious to illustrate the absurdity of this train of thought, which Andre Ward seems to have.

This is my biggest pet peeve in boxing today. You suddenly become a big star in boxing and then get this aura of entitlement which frustrates and alienates fans. How can you be a fan of a particular fighter when said fighter only fights once every 12 months or less? How can you stay interested? It's like waiting for Christmas; it only happens once a year and you dont spend all year thinking about it.

Canelo Alvarez is another fighter who suddenly has this sense of entitlement. It's like "I'm this big star now, I'm only gonna fight twice a year, if that.."

Comment

Floyd-stans will avoid this thread like the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    Floyd-stans will avoid this thread like the plague.
                    Floyd has been staying active. It's Andre Ward fans that should be put on blast

Comment

Well losing a belt or title I can feel that for sure that is something that needs to be defended but a ranking is just that a ranking of who is best, if I feel a guy is still better than those below him whether he has fought recently or not I would put that guy where I feel they should go.

Comment

Working...
                      X