Only in America: The Life and Crimes of Don King

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in America: The Life and Crimes of Don King

Here are some passages/quotes from it:

Well-known attorney Thomas Puccio told me "Don King is by far the smartest person I ever cross-examined, in a trial or deposition. And I questioned Ivan Boesky"

"It's like we are racehorses. They race us til we drop, and then they shoot us"- Tim Witherspoon

If anything, D'Amato seemed more hostile to Arum than to King. When Spinelli asked him which one was worse, D'Amato replied "How could God have made the same mistake twice?"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...9L._SS260_.jpg

im looking to get this book, i heard its supposed to be very good

Comment

Originally posted by hungryherbert View Post
      im looking to get this book, i heard its supposed to be very good
      It's pretty good. Newfield makes some errors here and there, with fight dates and all, but has some good info and good stories.

Comment

This is my favorite book on any subject. Jack Newfield has a unique, brilliant way of getting the story across.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Revenge View Post
          This is my favorite book on any subject. Jack Newfield has a unique, brilliant way of getting the story across.

Glad you said that. It is a must read for boxing fans. He buried King in that book.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Glad you said that. It is a must read for boxing fans. He buried King in that book.
            Jack Newfield is my literary hero. I've read this book and his memoirs, both of which were enthralling pieces of literature.

My favorite part of the book was when Newfield was running through DKP offices with a video camera and Carl King was pissed like "I'm not like my Dad, I will f**k you up" or something like that. They took his credential away, but then he showed up to the fight with a ticket to King's chagrin.

That's how you do journalism.

The Daily News Mutiny made Newfield a legend. He never used a computer, all typewriters.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
              Here are some passages/quotes from it:

Well-known attorney Thomas Puccio told me "Don King is by far the smartest person I ever cross-examined, in a trial or deposition. And I questioned Ivan Boesky"

"It's like we are racehorses. They race us til we drop, and then they shoot us"- Tim Witherspoon

If anything, D'Amato seemed more hostile to Arum than to King. When Spinelli asked him which one was worse, D'Amato replied "How could God have made the same mistake twice?"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...9L._SS260_.jpg
              I didn't know of this book. I look forward to read it. From the look of it it has been written 10-20 years to late.

Comment

does anyone know when this book was published?

Comment

Originally posted by hungryherbert View Post
                  does anyone know when this book was published?
                  This book has been around for at least 15 years, probably longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    This book has been around for at least 15 years, probably longer.
                    That makes my earlier post kinda lame

I wasn't aware of the book.

Comment

Working...
                    X