No announcement yet.

Boxing's Dictators

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    He's boring as hell for a guy who gets ko's, but Wlad had to be on the list.
    Does Co-Rule count JAB?

Alot of the guys mentioned in the thread were titlists and/or only held a portion of the championship. There are some here that held the undisputed title and that is the first qualification in my book to have "ruled their division".

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      Does Co-Rule count JAB?

Alot of the guys mentioned in the thread were titlists and/or only held a portion of the championship. There are some here that held the undisputed title and that is the first qualification in my book to have "ruled their division".
      I think the determining factor should be who has fought the best comp and ruled. In a perfect world there would be only one champion per division. Since we're stuck with what we got this is my own criteria though. I think the TS would better suited to answer the question since its his thread, my friend.

If that is part of the criteria the Klits surely rank at or near the very top though.
      Last edited by JAB5239; 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko.

Dominating a division for a decade and rarely losing a round. It doesn't get any better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
          joe calzaghe at SMW and finito lopez at minimumweight
          Lopez is a great example. He owned the strawweights for as long as he wanted to.

Comment

Does Mayweather count? Or has he not stayed long enough in one weight class to qualify?

Either way, I'd definitely go with:

Joe Louis (25 title defenses, still a record)

Larry Holmes (20 defenses, 12 defenses of Ring Heavyweight Title)

Bernard Hopkins (20 Middleweight Title defenses, 6 defenses as undisputed middleweight champion, current Ring Light Heavyweight Champion)

Klitschko Brothers at Heavyweight

Marvin Hagler (12 Middleweight title defenses)

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              I think the determining factor should be who has fought the best comp and ruled. In a perfect world there would be only one champion per division. Since we're stuck with what we got this is my own criteria though. I think the TS would better suited to answer the question since its his thread, my friend.

If that is part of the criteria the Klits surely rank at or near the very top though.
              I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you buddy, I just have that oldschool gene in my blood that makes me want to question the domination of a division by a fighter when there is another champion at the same weight that they didn't or wouldn't fight. The TS's example of Hagler met that criteria, as did Louis, Ali and a whole ton of fighters that were thought of and recognized as the only champion of their weight class. Perhaps it is the reason I don't visit the nsb as much as I used to because I often sound too critical of most of todays champions, primarily because nearly all of them are ok with just holding a portion of a title.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you buddy, I just have that oldschool gene in my blood that makes me want to question the domination of a division by a fighter when there is another champion at the same weight that they didn't or wouldn't fight. The TS's example of Hagler met that criteria, as did Louis, Ali and a whole ton of fighters that were thought of and recognized as the only champion of their weight class. Perhaps it is the reason I don't visit the nsb as much as I used to because I often sound too critical of most of todays champions, primarily because nearly all of them are ok with just holding a portion of a title.
                I feel the same way entirely.

I guess it's just that old school mentality that never goes away

Comment

Jofre at bantamweight

Pep at featherweight

Duran at lightweight

Comment

Working...
                  X